Will "cooking" live rock kill dinoflagellates?

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I poured boiling tap water on my 25 micron filter bag to kill the dinos so I can reuse the filter sock the next day will that work?

I placed the sock away from pets and kids I heard of people dying from smelling fumes of zoas/palys after boiling live rock in a kitchen.
Don't you have Amphidinium? Some of them are much smaller than 25 microns and they sometimes change size when going from the motile to nonmotile state.
I almost wish I still had them to test some things out.
Amphidinium carterae is described as being 11-17 microns long and 9-13 microns wide, as just one example.
Try to get some 10 micron socks if it's the best you can do, but filter sock material isn't the best for this job.
A much better approach than a filter sock would be a water filter canister with a pleated sub micron filter. Get the type with a 3/4" fitting. I would use a small/medium return pump that was sucking water through the filter, at the entrance to the filter would be your connection to your gravel vac. You could also run two inline with a 5-10 micron filter before the sub micron filter so you don't clog it too quickly. This will get a bunch of them out and also help with cleaning your sand. This method could also be used for other dinos as a standalone without the gravel vacuuming, like a diatomaceous earth filter. You can also run a UV inline with your gravel vac, but I haven't seen any proof that it will sterilize them if they're cystic. This is a link for the filter, but feel free to search other types or places to buy from, just look for the common size .35 micron and make sure it's pleated so you can clean it.

This is a link that describes the ones commonly found in Australia, it leads to a free download if you want to see why a 25 micron filter sock may be wasting your time.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you have Amphidinium? Some of them are much smaller than 25 microns and they sometimes change size when going from the motile to nonmotile state.
Amphidinium carterae is described as being 11-17 microns long and 9-13 microns wide, as just one example.
Try to get some 10 micron socks if it's the best you can do, but filter sock material isn't the best for this job.
A much better approach than a filter sock would be a water filter canister with a pleated sub micron filter. Get the type with a 3/4" fitting. I would use a small/medium return pump that was sucking water through the filter, at the entrance to the filter would be your connection to your gravel vac. You could also run two inline with a 5-10 micron filter before the sub micron filter so you don't clog it too quickly. This will get a bunch of them out and also help with cleaning your sand. This method could also be used for other dinos as a standalone without the gravel vacuuming, like a diatomaceous earth filter. You can also run a UV inline with your gravel vac, but I haven't seen any proof that it will sterilize them if they're cystic. This is a link for the filter, but feel free to search other types or places to buy from, just look for the common size .35 micron and make sure it's pleated so you can clean it.

This is a link that describes the ones commonly found in Australia, it leads to a free download if you want to see why a 25 micron filter sock may be wasting your time.

Thats why he's ordered 5 micron socks.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered some micron filters rated at 5 microns on Amazon, my vacuum is manual and designed to reach my small 12 gallon aquarium I am super small compared to the big boys that jave 120 gallon reefs.

So your elaborate pump ran canister would be too much for only 10 gallons of volume

I had incredible luck with 25 microns did you see my video?

I cant wait for the 5 micron to arrive to test it out. I will post new video to see if I catch more.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some micron filters rated at 5 microns on Amazon, my vacuum is manual and designed to reach my small 12 gallon aquarium I am super small compared to the big boys that jave 120 gallon reefs.

So your elaborate pump ran canister would be too much for only 10 gallons of volume

I cant wait for the 5 micron to arrive to test it out. I will post new video to see if I catch more.
I use a 5 micron for dinos and now for deep cleaning. It's incredible. You will love it

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 5 micron for dinos and now for deep cleaning. It's incredible. You will love it
Thanks I can barely wait for it to arrive, you saw what I did with a 25 micron. I imagine I will capture so many more.

The 25 micron sock is sitting in some bleach I saw that it was yellowing out so I caught something in 25 micron.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, I didn't see the video, but glad you're having a good outcome by being able to remove them.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't see the video, but glad you're having a good outcome by being able to remove them.
Waiting for the 5 micron sock to arrive next week. The 25 works, a little stalled the growth fro 24 hours instead of 20 minutes of returning when you just turn the gravel.

I will vaccum several times once the 5 micron sock arrifves.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another vacuum with the 25 micron sock today. It's taking longer for them to come back but they do come back. I have video of times, so I will share that.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exhausting but I set up my live rocks in such a way that when I vacuum I can hit nearly all the Dinos on the sand bed.

I hit the aquarium once hard yesterday and then twice in the morning still with the Micron 25 sock.

Ot takes them longer to recolonize bit when they do it is not as heavy but still they come back.

By 24 hours I can hit them another time. I brought back the temos to 78F since my corals didn't like 82F at least one did not digitata.

Working hard on making sure I manually vacuum and dose neo nitro and neo Phos.

Also lowered the cheato light period to 4 hours rather than 8.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overworked cheato bottomed out my nutrients, look at what I had to harvest.

Attachments

• 20210730_204821.jpg
    20210730_204821.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210730_200705.jpg
    20210730_200705.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210730_195732.jpg
    20210730_195732.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 17

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back