Will encrusting months affect acros?

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of acros at the top of my aquascape that are doing well. I recently purchased some encrusting montipora. I’m trying to find a money for the frags and I’m wondering if placement too close to an Acro frag is ok or not. Will they affect the bases or kill them? Please help a monti newbie out!

I have both a Sunset and green eyed wombat montipora.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which Monti, and which Acropora, they can definitely fight. In my experience, the Monti usually wins...
If it looks like the Monti is going to overrun your Acros, I'd move the Acros sooner than later

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of acros at the top of my aquascape that are doing well. I recently purchased some encrusting montipora. I’m trying to find a money for the frags and I’m wondering if placement too close to an Acro frag is ok or not. Will they affect the bases or kill them? Please help a monti newbie out!

I have both a Sunset and green eyed wombat montipora.

Acros usually win out vs montis but I would advise placing the monti on a rock that you can move rather than directly on a rock that your acros are attached to. Montis will generally going to grow much faster than acros and it becomes a problem when they take over a lot of real estate. Nearly impossible to remove an encrusted monti.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, when the encrusting monti and acros encrusted based meet you’ll just see a stringy white mess for a few days. Then it goes away and both stop growing in that direction. Once every few months, mine usually fire back up but it comes out to the same outcome. However in the long run, the acro will probably win because as it branches it shades out the monti.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back