Will fish be okay without light?

Clownydowntown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 20 gallon fish tank with 2 clownfish and 1 yellow watchman goby. I am going to go on vacation for 4 days within a week. The problem is that I don’t have an automatic light. The fish tank is placed close to my window so they will still have some light during the day. I do have an automatic fish feeder. I also have a little 2 gallon transportation tank that I can give to a friend to look over if anything. Is it okay to leave my fish without light for 4 days or will there be a problem?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be fine, fish don’t depend on light to survive. There would only be an issue if there were any corals in the system

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 20 gallon fish tank with 2 clownfish and 1 yellow watchman goby. I am going to go on vacation for 4 days within a week. The problem is that I don’t have an automatic light. The fish tank is placed close to my window so they will still have some light during the day. I do have an automatic fish feeder. I also have a little 2 gallon transportation tank that I can give to a friend to look over if anything. Is it okay to leave my fish without light for 4 days or will there be a problem?
They will be fine.
A mechanical timer is cheap tho.

BN-LINK 24 Hour Plug-in Mechanical Timer Grounded for Aquarium, Grow Light, Hydroponics, Indoor Lighting, Home Appliances, ETL Listed 125VAC, 60 Hz, 1875W, 15A, 1/2HP (1 Pack) https://a.co/d/aOgvFCU

OP
OP
C

Clownydowntown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same setup, I use Roku smart plugs. Or you can get manual ones for even cheaper. But yes, they will be fine without light. The question is, do you have coral?
Ah okay thank you for recommending. No I don’t have coral as of rn

OP
OP
C

Clownydowntown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There won't be an issue, when I took a break from the hobby the tank went 9 months without a light and the fish were all fine. Ambient light is more than enough for them to see what's going on during the day.

Dave B
Oh wow thank you for letting me know I appreciate it a lot :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had many fish only tanks over the years for breeding that have not had individual lights for each tank. As others have mentioned, fish don’t require lots of lights, but they do seem to appreciate knowing whether it is day or night, whether that is ambient light from a window or artificial light. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back