Will hypo kill aiptasia

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake and introduced ick into my system. I glued a bunch of rock and can’t get at all the fish without chiseling my rock work.

At this point I either have hypo, breakdown or ick mgmt. with my Achilles. I prefer to try and do something.

I’m leaning those hypo the 180. And if I can get rid of this aiptasia infestation at the same time I think this is the direction I would go.

@Humblefish
@melypr1985

Any thought and instruction on doing this successfully. I’ve tried for 3 weeks to catch 3 wrasses and they know the tank better tank I do. And go into my huge formation that is epoxy and won’t move

Even drained the tank and they wouldn’t come out of the rock work

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard on another thread that dropping your salinity to about 17 instead of 26 can kill ich. I have not done it myself so research, research and more research, I can't even help you with where I got the info from. As I am battling ich too I came across it. As for aptasia, my peppermint shrimp do the best job of removing it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia will laugh at Hypo salinity. They are tough cookies peppermint to the job. I have been aptasia free for 3 month but found one yesterday a small one and superglued it. Now I have to keep an eye out for anymore to keep them out of the tank. They are a tough nut to crack.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses ate my shrimp and 80 worth of nudibranches :)

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of Aiptasia in my overflow box...Drained it, filled it with scolding hot water and let it sit for about 30+ minutes, drained the hot water, refilled with SW, and that seems to have helped with that...

Everyone keeps saying Peppermints will do the job, but I've never had luck with any Peppermints. I've tried Peppermints from LA, and two separate LFS on multiple occasions and not so much luck.

I've had luck with multiple treatments of Joes Juice though. Otherwise they're pretty much the pest from hell.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with peppermints is that if you are feeding fish in the tank they will eat the scraps before the apitasia they work when aiptasia is their only food.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some peppermints and keep them in their own tank for a couple of days and feed them aiptasia you can scrape off of the glass or remove from the tank on an unattached rock or something, then wait a day or so for them to get hungry and introduce them to your DT, don't feed the DT for like a day so that the peppermints get really adjusted to eating the aiptasia, once they start to work on them you can give the fish some food :)

This method has worked for me twice now

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
christian_bale_american_psycho_patrick_bateman_axe_10989289_RE_PwnzElite_has_declared_war_on_Grammar_Nazis-s400x300-173837.jpg

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them dang aptasia. Nuke proof. I will have to do what some here have said and not feed the tank for a day or two to see if the 3-4 peppermint shrimps i have eat them. Long war with aptasia. Just when i get the upperhand they find a way

20171011_082636_HDR.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back