Will Loud Music Disturb Fish or Damage Tank?

c.declivisowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 120 Gallon reef tank in my room. I recently have been playing lot's of music specifically dubstep with heavy bass in my room. The speakers are less than probably 3 feet away from the tank. When I say heavy bass in the music I mean that the sound system I have is making the entire house shake, pictures on the wall vibrate, windows rattle, etc… I don't really want to turn it down because I'm throwing parities and you need music! I was wondering if this is at all disturbing the fish or damaging the silicon or stand to the fish tank? The fish look completely calm and I feed them when the music is playing and they all eat and are happy. The stand I can feel vibrating against my hand. Should I move the entire tank somewhere else?

Thanks for any help!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel as if this is one of those you already know the answer questions, you're just asking in hopes to hear otherwise. That being said, I can't see it killing anything but I can't see it being all that good if it is three feet from a source that is rattling your whole house. I dj and have a massive sound system, but my tanks are not in the same room as my setup because the humidity can damage it, and I never turn it that loud in my own house either. I djed at a party once with a fishtank, and after some time the fish all rapidly swam every time the bass hit...making me assume it was scaring the fish.

Last edited:

Assyrianfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
three feet is way to close. if it was my tank i would have as much space between the tank and the source. also by loud how loud do you mean? i know it wont bug the corals, and the fish am sure will be fine. am thinking your not going to be playing anything louder then a few hrs. so with that being said get some space, and dont get to loud. if you do just cover it up with something . so that the sound waves dont go all the way through

OP
OP
c.declivisowner

c.declivisowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel as if this is one of those you already know the answer questions, you're just asking in hopes to hear otherwise. That being said, I can't see it killing anything but I can't see it being all that good if it is three feet from a source that is rattling your whole house. I dj and have a massive sound system, but my tanks are not in the same room as my setup because the humidity can damage it, and I never turn it that loud in my own house either. I djed at a party once with a fishtank, and after some time the fish all rapidly swam every time the bass hit...making me assume it was scaring the fish.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking it couldn't really be good but I was hoping that maybe it would be bearable for the tank and its inhabitants. I'm always playing music just not as loud so I'm not sure if the fish are getting used to it. I only turn it up when there's a party really.

OP
OP
c.declivisowner

c.declivisowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
three feet is way to close. if it was my tank i would have as much space between the tank and the source. also by loud how loud do you mean? i know it wont bug the corals, and the fish am sure will be fine. am thinking your not going to be playing anything louder then a few hrs. so with that being said get some space, and dont get to loud. if you do just cover it up with something . so that the sound waves dont go all the way through

I mean I don't know what the decibels are but it's to the point where you can't hear people talking if your screaming at them in the room. If I walk to the neighbors down at the corner I can hear it which is like a quarter mile away. I never play at loud volumes for more than 5 hours. I usually start at 9PM or so and end around 1AM. I'm going to see if I can get a cheaper system in the living room instead. I was trying to save some money but I don't want something bad happening to the fish tank which is worth more than a new sound system.

inurocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been a musician most of my life. I can assure you high pressure low frequency can damage a structure and can make you permanently and profoundly deaf. Most all professionals musicians, stage and sound crew ware hearing protection now days. I love loud music too, but understand the risk involved. Liquids are not compressible like air so your fish are getting hammered bad.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to turn the music up that loud for it to sound good, maybe you should consider playing a different style of music...just kidding. I didn't realize you were cranking it up that high, I think that is probably very unhealthy for your system. A simpler solution then buying a different stereo is just turn down the volume, lol.

socal619

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the bass down, less volume, if you and the fish are gonna go deaf it's probably too loud lol

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound waves can injure or even kill fish. I install ponds and have heard of people whose ponds have froze over breaking the ice with a sledge hammer or something similar. In more than one instance they have killed off a few koi from the sound waves produced from smashing the ice

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will 100% kill the fish.

I've seen tanks in clubs and bars and the same thing happens because of the base. Those sounds waves are not good...

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibration like that is painful. Their lateral line is very sensitive - they use it to detect minute changes in the water/current around them, which can signal the approach of a predator or such.

Monsse Varghese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This blog was interesting to read. Hence, I signed up to be a part of this community. Well I am a beginner with aquascaping. My tank is new and I started with a 50 Litre one (15 Gallons approx). makes me a small fish in the pond currently. I was researching on few things like air pump/stone, air filter, anti chlorine mobilizer, lights, live plants to keep my fishes happy. I struck across the question of my speaker's bass volume. Both the music system and the tank are closeby in the same living room. I made sure that the bass amplifier is away from the tank which i guess is 5 meters away (on the floor). Volume at times can be at 70% but not more.. to stretch to an overall running time of 3-4 hours max on weekends. Thats all.. Other days, the volume is moderate with soothing bass playing in the background while I chill. Fishes feel relaxed but i still notice movements in the tank. It seems that they are playing but my worry is whether they are disturbed and frightened. Kindly let me know your feedback.

alextudose1400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just dancing?

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reviving this thread - I am considering a compact, acoustic drum kit for my son. It would sit about 6 feet from my 65g tank.

I don't think the decibels would be as loud as OP here, and hoping to buy some shag carpet/work on sound dampening.

Anyone see issues here?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MERKEY I think you are perfect for this response since you can hear yours from Mars.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I played on 15 inch monitors from a digital yamaha drumset turned up so loud the cops came 10+ times, no harm to the tank or it's inhabitants at all and they were in the same room. I had multiple tanks salt + fresh, did this for about ten years straight. music from a home is not harmful, perhaps twenty marshal stacks from a pro concert might be different.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm reviving this thread - I am considering a compact, acoustic drum kit for my son. It would sit about 6 feet from my 65g tank.

I don't think the decibels would be as loud as OP here, and hoping to buy some shag carpet/work on sound dampening.

Anyone see issues here?
Short answer is yes ultra low frequency can hurt a tank and fish, like an earthquake.

Can just loud music played at 90db...I'd have to say no.

Fish can't hear like us...the frequencies is what get them and the glass.

loud conversations take place in the 80db range and yelling in 90s.

Drums will hit 90+ and have reached 130db in concerts but I don't think you're talking that type of playing.

Jet take off is like 140 For reference.

You'll be fine with the drums not hurting the tank or fish.

Annoying is another question that people take as abuse.

The snare and bass drum may cause a startle affect. So based on this you may want to relocate the drum set.

From the OP statement I don't believe his stereo would hurt his fish either unless he was hitting low frequencies like 15hz and below, which take some serious equipment to produce.

I'd be more concerned about his neighbors at 9pm-1am with that noise haha

A loud system won't hurt a tank, just be annoying.

I'm listening at a constant 90bd when watching movies or playing games or music with bass hitting close to 100db and my fish don't flinch.

The tank is in an open platform living room that is roughly 3500+ cubic feet attached to another 2000cbft that the tanks are in.

No flinching from our fish during bass dropps or loudness. Pic size for reference.....

Screenshot_20240118_165215_Chrome.jpg

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • D/C

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • Both

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 10 16.1%
Back