Will Melanarus Wrasse Eat Urchins?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dope100
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dope100

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2022
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting to put things in my tank that arent fish and have pencil urchin, duncan wisker coral and condy anenome on the list. Two fish I have questions about are spotted hawkfish and the melanarus wrasse are any of these things incompatible with my fish
 
Great questions! I recently added a Melanarus to my 6 year old mixed reef. 5 days later I find my approximately 2 year old blue Tuxedo Urchin dead on the sand. I never witnessed the wrasse harass the urchin, but something killed it. Hoping more seasoned reefers have some insight.
 
Wrasses go after snails and crabs. The larger guys (Halichoeres chloropterus as an example) may go after Urchins but the small guys such as Halichoeres Iridis and Halichoeres melanurus are not known for going for urchins.
 
Wrasses go after snails and crabs. The larger guys (Halichoeres chloropterus as an example) may go after Urchins but the small guys such as Halichoeres Iridis and Halichoeres melanurus are not known for going for urchins.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new