Will my skimmer work better if I take out the filter sock?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 301 skimmer on a new 40g tank. It works, but so much of the uneaten food/waste ends up in the filter sock that I wonder if it would do a better job without the sock. Does anyone have experience with this?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer will only (roughly) pull 30% of the organics out of the water. If you have lots of uneaten food in the socks maybe try feeding less or shutting off your return pump when feeding which may help feed less. Having excess food in the sump hoping the skimmer will pull it out is a bad idea, especially if you struggle with no3 and po4.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
A skimmer will only (roughly) pull 30% of the organics out of the water. If you have lots of uneaten food in the socks maybe try feeding less or shutting off your return pump when feeding which may help feed less. Having excess food in the sump hoping the skimmer will pull it out is a bad idea, especially if you struggle with no3 and po4.

I'm going to try mesh socks that I rinse out daily. That seems like a good compromise.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw mine in the washer. I've considered losing the socks in one tank since I'm dosing N and P anyway, but then I see the nonsense inside the sock and really don't want that accumulating in my sump either. Utilizing feed mode sure helps. On my other tank I don't have an apex, and also have pre filters on my overflow tubes. The amount of mysis I see in the foam is quite a bit. It just seems like I'd be asking for punishment later on. So much easier to add nutrients then try to get them back out.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back