Will nipped fins grow back?

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I picked well and chose a basslet and a dottyback for my tank. I did the compatibility review and was carefully planning and everything. I feel like a ******* because while I did realize that pseudochromis is not compatible with basslets, I did not realize that pseudochromis and dottybacks are the same fish.

Thus, I will need to get rid of the dottyback because it is fighting with the basslet and picking its tail fins and he kicked the basslet out of his sleeping whole twice. I much prefer the basslet than the dotty.

My question is: will the basslet's tail fins grow back or is this fish forever scarred from my ignorance?

Feeling bad here :(

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. it takes quite a while to grow back, but it will. it first looks translucent, then its natural colors come in. good luck & happy reefing!

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned that the Midas Blenny might be the one doing the nipping. But I can't tell. Maybe the Assessor just runs from everything.

Any ideas on how to catch "insert any fish" without wrecking your tank?

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somehwere that using a mirror, you can catch any fish. They reccomened getting the fish's attention with the mirror and then sliding the mirror toward the top of the tank. While the fish is busy looking at him/her self in the mirror you swipe them up with the net. I have never tried it but it's worth a quick shot.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) .... I'll let you know how it works out. I'll post pictures of the wreckage if it doesn't.

My wife thinks I should just let them duke it out. I don't think that's going to end well. And it's partially my fault because she doesn't know how much the assessor cost. The dottyback truly was pretty cheap though.

noobofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that they grow back, but my very healthy clownfish still hasn't grown back it's fin after 3 years...so...I don't know...

Lem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that they grow back, but my very healthy clownfish still hasn't grown back it's fin after 3 years...so...I don't know...

If the fish lost its fin completely, there is no regrowing it. Much like we cant regrow a leg or an arm if it gets cut off. We cant regenerate like that. Crabs, sea stars, and some other critters can, but fish, not so much. A nipped fin, meaning the tips are gone, can be regrown/regenerated much like we regrow skin when we get cuts or scrapes. But a total loss of limb in a fish wont come back. IMO

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back