Will prazipro kill chaeto?

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I saw my little guy looking uncomfortable and going near where the back chamber held the skimmer at the surface almost. I’m not sure if he’s getting air or hungry and looking for food particles that blow that way but I’m preemptively treating prazipro just in case. Will prazipro kill my cheato though?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically no, but it will kill some feather dusters and other worms. Prazipro uses a solvent that can cause bacterial blooms which in turn use up oxygen. Make sure you aerate the water well (not just a powerhead) and watch for cloudy water.
I don't know who your "little guy" is, but it very well could have issues other than flukes, and then prazipro won't be effective.

Jay

OP
OP
leighla wolf

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. Yes. I left the skimmer bubbling. Have powerheads and an upgraded pump in the Evo as well. They’re the only livestock (clowns) in the tank other than some hermits as CUC since I’m trying to get rid of this hair algae to no avail! If you have tips on that let me know because this algae took over (even though I’ve scrubbed rocks) and choked out all my coral.

Tank stats on EVO 13.5:

PH 8.3 use RODI water from brand new aquatic buddy RO system with hydor ATO
Ammonia 0
Nitrates between 5-10 using api kit (very low my cheato grows like a beast)
Phosphates .25
Tank temp 79.2 I just installed my inkbird and it’s holding the temp nicely since my tank was going up to 82-83
AI prime hd lights from 9 am to 8 pm my intensity schedule is attached in images
The lid is acrylic cut to size with holes all the way through in rows for air/gas/heat exchange

Feeding- I have 2 clowns and 7-8 hermits and pipette them food to avoid excess waste (I alternate each day with SA pellets or Rods Food)

6457B099-95B2-48A0-B053-EF0CFB7F2ADB.png 1047C24E-1833-4CA1-9E86-E53D3534494A.jpeg 9AB19AAF-873D-4270-A07C-C71CC046E060.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't show you a picture of all the hair algae in my 16g Biocube (grin). Flukes on clownfish is pretty rare. Are they breathing rapidly? I know this is a relative thing, but any open-mouthed or rapid breathing can be an important symptom. Could it be that you are managing the food input so finely that they are just really hungry?

Jay

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically no, but it will kill some feather dusters and other worms. Prazipro uses a solvent that can cause bacterial blooms which in turn use up oxygen. Make sure you aerate the water well (not just a powerhead) and watch for cloudy water.
I don't know who your "little guy" is, but it very well could have issues other than flukes, and then prazipro won't be effective.

Jay

I have observed that O2 problem in the past, I do use air pumps when I use Prazi. But good to know why.

OP
OP
leighla wolf

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't show you a picture of all the hair algae in my 16g Biocube (grin). Flukes on clownfish is pretty rare. Are they breathing rapidly? I know this is a relative thing, but any open-mouthed or rapid breathing can be an important symptom. Could it be that you are managing the food input so finely that they are just really hungry?

Jay
Yeah, they didn’t seem to really react to the prazipro like I’ve seen fish with flukes do in the past from initial tank dosing. However, the food is a whole other ordeal. I definitely baby them and turn off the wavemaker and pipette them either rods food or SA pellets (I soak both in tank water but do wonder if I should soak pellets and frozen in RODI because I’ve heard that even saltwater fish can get dehydrated). I do try to feed them twice a day and let a few pellets drop for the 7 hermits I have. But honestly the hair algae is a little ridiculous. I’ve heard of emerald crabs but they seem opportunistic and I’ve heard of them attacking fish/eating coral and my fish sleep wedged in the rocks!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back