Will protein skimmer help to decrease my biofilm/scum

nubireefjakarta

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 10, 2025
Messages
56
Reaction score
25
Location
jakarta
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I need help. I have a 26 gal tank that has been running for 2 months. currently there is 2 clownfish, and 10 totals of varieties of CUC. I also have 10 LPS and 1 leather coral. I've tried increasing surface agitation with wave maker, but there's always scum/thin bio film on the surface.Does a protein skimmer will reduce it...? or does the scum comes from another issue? Will send some photos soon
 
Guys I need help. I have a 26 gal tank that has been running for 2 months. currently there is 2 clownfish, and 10 totals of varieties of CUC. I also have 10 LPS and 1 leather coral. I've tried increasing surface agitation with wave maker, but there's always scum/thin bio film on the surface.Does a protein skimmer will reduce it...? or does the scum comes from another issue? Will send some photos soon
Proper surface skimming should take care of all this. A protein skimmer may help but will not eliminate the surface film.
 
it is dissolved organics, it is the result of fish poop and rotting food.

You need to aim the powerhead to the surface to mix that back into the water, so that the protein skimmer and other filters can remove it. The protein skimmer can not remove it if its floating on the surface.

That surface film also cuts the oxygen exchange, so it is important to remove it with surface agitation.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new