Will Red Sea release a controller / automated tester?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Given the manner in which the Red Sea / Reef Beat ecosystem has expanded since the Reef LED's were first released, do you think a controller / automated tester is on the cards?

I'm thinking of purchasing an automated alkalinity tester, but would prefer a Red Sea product as their ease of use is superior to competitors (In my opinion).

What do you think the chances are that they're working on such a product?

Thanks!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised it took as long as it did for a serious competitor to come along (Coralvue Hydros) and challenge Neptune since the fall of Digital Aquatics... Now that others are noticing Coralvues success they might jump on board...

Id imagine controllers require a lot of customer support/firmware/technical headaches that some companies may not want to venture into though

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought, but they seem to be in that space already with ReefBeat, especially things like ReefDose where you can set a custom program and get reminders.

I think the eKoral system is an example of a "simple" controller that would fit the needs of many reefers without having the extreme levels of customisation like Neptune / GHL systems.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First they need to improve on their LEDs.
For the controller? I wouldn't have thought that would be too relevant, most people want to control pumps (ReefWave) and Dosers (ReefDose) from their controller, lights are a bit more set and forget.

I do wonder whether Red Sea would consider partnering with Sicce for controllable return and needle wheel pumps the way they do with Maxspect for wave pumps.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the controller? I wouldn't have thought that would be too relevant, most people want to control pumps (ReefWave) and Dosers (ReefDose) from their controller, lights are a bit more set and forget.

I do wonder whether Red Sea would consider partnering with Sicce for controllable return and needle wheel pumps the way they do with Maxspect for wave pumps.
That's what I meant - no buttons on the lights.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they do I hope it more than alk testing! Maybe alk cal mg no3 po4? And something simple maybe without liquid reagents? With some replacebul strips?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t care who makes them but the more quality ones would be better as competition will only bring goods to hobbyists.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought, but they seem to be in that space already with ReefBeat, especially things like ReefDose where you can set a custom program and get reminders.

I think the eKoral system is an example of a "simple" controller that would fit the needs of many reefers without having the extreme levels of customisation like Neptune / GHL systems.
Interesting, I never even heard of ekoral before you posted that and I googled it

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have hydros and like it have had a few hiccups but nothing crazy. I have a Red Sea doser and while I love it there is a lot of connection issues I don’t know if I would trust a controller that controls important devices from Red Sea when the doser loses connection a ton. Still would recommend the doser though lol

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hydros and like it have had a few hiccups but nothing crazy. I have a Red Sea doser and while I love it there is a lot of connection issues I don’t know if I would trust a controller that controls important devices from Red Sea when the doser loses connection a ton. Still would recommend the doser though lol
I think saying "connection issues" should keep them from doing something is a rather dumb excuse. I own a reefdose and have no issues with it. The problem with a lot of wifi devices lies in peoples networks not in the product itself (typically). I had issues with connection on my hydros and it ended up being a wifi issue with the way it connects. I took their recommendations on how to fix the issue and haven't had a problem since.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think saying "connection issues" should keep them from doing something is a rather dumb excuse. I own a reefdose and have no issues with it. The problem with a lot of wifi devices lies in peoples networks not in the product itself (typically). I had issues with connection on my hydros and it ended up being a wifi issue with the way it connects. I took their recommendations on how to fix the issue and haven't had a problem since.
Yes I am aware of Hydros only working with 2.4GHz. This was not my main issue. My hydros controller completely failed and I needed a replacement. I would still recommend. Yes but cheaping out on a less than dollar wifi chip for profits shows you everything you need. Mesh systems are becoming the new norm for routers and a 500 dollar device should work with any mesh system especially when you have cheap 10 dollar smart light bulbs that can connect to 5 GHz easily….

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their ReefBeat app has been great on my end.

If would be nice if they came out with an alk auto tester.

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am aware of Hydros only working with 2.4GHz. This was not my main issue. My hydros controller completely failed and I needed a replacement. I would still recommend. Yes but cheaping out on a less than dollar wifi chip for profits shows you everything you need. Mesh systems are becoming the new norm for routers and a 500 dollar device should work with any mesh system especially when you have cheap 10 dollar smart light bulbs that can connect to 5 GHz easily….
My issues were present even with 2.4ghz it was somewhere else in the network I had to fix. I genuinely don't think it is as simple as put a 5ghz chip in. If it were that simple I would think companies would do it more. It seems there is an attachment to 2.4ghz for some other reason because the majority of reefing things internet connected I see want 2.4ghz.
Their ReefBeat app has been great on my end.

If would be nice if they came out with an alk auto tester.
I have also had no issues with reefbeat, seems to work perfect for me. The alk tester would be great, but I think I would like to see some more people doing it like GHL with probes rather than reagents.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, those are knobs

I’d take a well done app over physical buttons, but it’s personal preference I guess. I never got how you set a schedule with Kessils without the controller using just buttons, the buttons just control the “current state”.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Technically, those are knobs

I’d take a well done app over physical buttons, but it’s personal preference I guess. I never got how you set a schedule with Kessils without the controller using just buttons, the buttons just control the “current state”.

No knobs on my light... ap700.

kes022-kes022-AP700-touch-button-1038-2-1038.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back