Will seahorses mate while I feed the tank?

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed my seahorses courting each other and was wondering if when I feed them, I'm disrupting something. Or if it helps or anything like that. I'm relatively new to seahorses so I'm still learning

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed my seahorses courting each other and was wondering if when I feed them, I'm disrupting something. Or if it helps or anything like that. I'm relatively new to seahorses so I'm still learning
Don't worry. U can't disturb them when they r mating. Feed them 2-3 times. Atleast 2 time. Once he is parallel to the female, the male strongly vibrates. If the female is ready to spawn, she vibrates and stays next to the male. They may entwine tails, and the male occasionally rubs his brood pouch against her ventral area.

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry. U can't disturb them when they r mating. Feed them 2-3 times. Atleast 2 time. Once he is parallel to the female, the male strongly vibrates. If the female is ready to spawn, she vibrates and stays next to the male. They may entwine tails, and the male occasionally rubs his brood pouch against her ventral area.
The male keeps vibrating, is that normal?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male keeps vibrating, is that normal?
It's normal. U might see that female will start vibrate now when she is ready to mate. After that, The male’s pouch swells, and the orifice at the top of the pouch opens. His movements appear aimed at drawing the female’s attention to the pouch. She inserts her ovipositor into the pouch and transfers the eggs, which takes about five seconds. As soon as the eggs are transferred, they are fertilized and the brood pouch seals shut. U can refer this article. Here is what happen during spawning and after

Salvadoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seahorses do that all the time.
It’s pretty common for them to dance around, especially in the mornings. Once you start feeding them the Female starts to lose interest real quick lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back