Will sexy shrimp eat zoas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sipec
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sipec

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2017
Messages
740
Reaction score
606
Location
Grand Rapids area, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting some sexy anenome shrimp eventually, but I've heard they can eat zoas. Is this something I should be worried about?
 
I found this:
Sexy shrimps will host with most anemones in the aquarium, but they are not tolerated by clownfish that have chosen the anemone as a host—the fish may kill and consume a sexy shrimp looking for a host. If an anemone is not present in the aquarium, the shrimps may try to host on larger corals. I’ve had them spend time within the polyps of Duncan’s coral (Duncanopsammia axifuga), and they are known to adopt green star polyps (Pachyclavularia sp.), clove polyps (Clavularia sp.), and even mushrooms (Discosoma sp.). Normally this will not be an issue, but if the shrimps aren’t well fed, they may decide to predate on their hosts, which will cause a lack of polyp extension or even death of individual polyps or the entire colony. Sexy shrimps have also been witnessed eating zoanthids, so they are reef-safe only if well fed.

In this article:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/keeping-sexy-shrimp-full-article.htm

I hope that helps.
 
I found this:
Sexy shrimps will host with most anemones in the aquarium, but they are not tolerated by clownfish that have chosen the anemone as a host—the fish may kill and consume a sexy shrimp looking for a host. If an anemone is not present in the aquarium, the shrimps may try to host on larger corals. I’ve had them spend time within the polyps of Duncan’s coral (Duncanopsammia axifuga), and they are known to adopt green star polyps (Pachyclavularia sp.), clove polyps (Clavularia sp.), and even mushrooms (Discosoma sp.). Normally this will not be an issue, but if the shrimps aren’t well fed, they may decide to predate on their hosts, which will cause a lack of polyp extension or even death of individual polyps or the entire colony. Sexy shrimps have also been witnessed eating zoanthids, so they are reef-safe only if well fed.

In this article:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/keeping-sexy-shrimp-full-article.htm

I hope that helps.
Thanks
 
Not a threat to zoas. Mine hang out in my Duncan and completely ignore my zoas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new