Will temporary high concentrations of salt kill beneficial bacteria in sand?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water change method is turning on a pump to drain saltwater and once that’s completed, scooping salt into a highly turbulent area of the sump (in a bucket that my display drains into). It’s pretty simple. Depending on the size of the water change, I typically put anywhere from 10-20 scoops (3/4 cup).

To battle nitrates, I recently put a whole bunch of live rock in the sump along with filling that same bucket with sand. It’s pretty nice since the water drain keeps the sand constantly moving and I also stir it up weekly.

When I scoop that salt into the bucket with sand, am I killing all the bacteria in it or should it be fine?

Jeff

IMG_1226.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It’s a 700 gallon system. While i appreciate your concerns it’s a very stable and efficient method.
Looks like you’ve got tonnes of rock in the tank. I wouldn’t be concerned about a little bacteria on the sand in a bucket, to be honest. As long as the salt is thoroughly dissolved by the time it gets up top, I think you are ok.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ve got tonnes of rock in the tank. I wouldn’t be concerned about a little bacteria on the sand in a bucket, to be honest. As long as the salt is thoroughly dissolved by the time it gets up top, I think you are ok.
I’m a nervous nelly ha. Glad to hear thank you.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on, so I just woke up, so this is hard for me. But you pump the water out of the sump, then pump fresh water into the sump, and add salt into the sump? Is that right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back