Will this apex setup work?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially I'm planning a new tank (reefer 525) and looking at controllers but since there is a lot of different apex's and most of the information is old I don't know if these will all work together. Any advice is appreciated?
  • Apex el
    • WXM module (plan on having a vortech, 3x hydra 26's and Aquatic Life T5 HO Hybrid with 2x actinic bulbs and 2x blue plus bulbs, only looking for apex to turn on/off the T5's as I can't get the dimmable aquatic life fixture in Australia)
    • 2x. DOS (+ what it will be dosing, not dosing calcium and alkalinity because I plan on having a calcium reactor)
      • Magnesium
      • Reef energy A
      • Reef energy B
    • AFS
    • Trident
Also does anyone have experience with the trident I've heard some bad reviews of it and am not sure what to think now

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially I'm planning a new tank (reefer 525) and looking at controllers but since there is a lot of different apex's and most of the information is old I don't know if these will all work together. Any advice is appreciated?
  • Apex el
    • WXM module (plan on having a vortech, 3x hydra 26's and Aquatic Life T5 HO Hybrid with 2x actinic bulbs and 2x blue plus bulbs, only looking for apex to turn on/off the T5's as I can't get the dimmable aquatic life fixture in Australia)
    • 2x. DOS (+ what it will be dosing, not dosing calcium and alkalinity because I plan on having a calcium reactor)
      • Magnesium
      • Reef energy A
      • Reef energy B
    • AFS
    • Trident
Also does anyone have experience with the trident I've heard some bad reviews of it and am not sure what to think now
Not an apex user to say what modules are needed but.
Red sea energy A and B should be refrigerated, also they can grow bacteria in a dosing line, i would only dose these by hand.

Also with a calcium reactor you should not have to dose magnesium, if not maintaining with normal reactor media you can add Magnesium media with your Ca media. The dos pumps are probably not needed. Could do one for auto water changes if wished to do that route.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an apex user to say what modules are needed but.
Red sea energy A and B should be refrigerated, also they can grow bacteria in a dosing line, i would only dose these by hand.

Also with a calcium reactor you should not have to dose magnesium, if not maintaining with normal reactor media you can add Magnesium media with your Ca media. The dos pumps are probably not needed. Could do one for auto water changes if wished to do that route.
Thanks for your input you probably just saved me $500+ haha. I might look into auto water changes

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I should add for the apex to control eg a skimmer (on/off) it has to be plugged into the apex power board correct?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I should add for the apex to control eg a skimmer (on/off) it has to be plugged into the apex power board correct?
Yes, i do not know what neptune labels this, on my profilux its a switch channel. Will also let you monitor the power draw of the equipment plugged into the outlet. You can also add a float or optical switch to add an automatic on/off if its full(great for vacation).

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i do not know what neptune labels this, on my profilux its a switch channel. Will also let you monitor the power draw of the equipment plugged into the outlet. You can also add a float or optical switch to add an automatic on/off if its full(great for vacation).
Awsome thank you

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need the WXM to control the Vortechs directly through Apex.
WXM will also control Radions. It will not control AI Hydras.
It is possible to control Hydras directly with the Apex, no additional modules required.
Anything that you want to turn on/off with the Apex needs an available outlet on the Power Bar.

The Trident is a useful device but you have to understand it well to get the best performance.
Many people do use the Trident with a calcium reactor.
However it's basically designed to control and adjust 2-part dosing via the DOS.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need the WXM to control the Vortechs directly through Apex.
WXM will also control Radions. It will not control AI Hydras.
It is possible to control Hydras directly with the Apex, no additional modules required.
Anything that you want to turn on/off with the Apex needs an available outlet on the Power Bar.

The Trident is a useful device but you have to understand it well to get the best performance.
Many people do use the Trident with a calcium reactor.
However it's basically designed to control and adjust 2-part dosing via the DOS.
How do you control the hydras with a apex?

Would you reccomend using the trident with a calcium reactor and if so is it possible to have it adjust the calcium reactor?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you reccomend using the trident with a calcium reactor and if so is it possible to have it adjust the calcium reactor?

The Apex and Hydras interface directly over Wifi.
You add each Hydra as a separate 'module' from the Modules page.
This is similar to how an Amazon Echo can control other brands of smart home devices, for example.
Neptune calls this IOTA (internet-of-things aquarium).

I don't run a calcium reactor myself (issue of space), but there are threads on the Neptune systems forum where people discuss their approach to controlling one with the Apex and Trident. There are different ways to adjust a calcium reactor, and which approach you use will determine how it integrates with the Apex/Trident.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AI and Neptune worked out code between their respective interfaces, the apex should speak wirelessly to your AI lights.

Calcium reactor is not as adjustable as 2 part because of its mechanics.

If your tank has low alkalinity but normal calcium your carx is not capable of correcting this. But a properly calibrated carx is able to maintain parameters if a reef tank. So with an alkalinity monitor it can turn it on and off if a test reports back higher or lower than a set value. At least this is how a carx works with the KH director, assuming it would work similarly with the trident. For corrective dosing its nice to keep a jug of each m

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys reccomend running a calcium reactor or dosing for a reefer 525 sps dominant?
With an apex el, you would need to add a module for. Second ph probe if you wanted to know tank ph and run a carx.
(I believe only has 1 ph probe, if wrong disregard)
Just something to keep in mind.

Carx is easier in the long run imo, but would watch brs’s videos on carx and 2 part to decide which direction you want to go.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back