Will this hammer survive? Brown jelly, UV burn, or something else?

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I want to preface by saying that I havent measured my PAR, but use a lighting template made for my light (AI Prime).

I have some zoas that were seemingly reaching for light, and had 2 fellow reefers agree with me. I liked the color scheme for my light currently, so I SLIGHTLY adjusted UV, knowing it could have effects on the corals. I had a really large green hammer, and it has now shrunk to this :( I realized after about 3-4 days, and immediately moved the hammer into a darker area and reset my light template back to the original. Everything else in my tank is fine coral-wise, including 3 torches that are positioned even higher in the tank. Parameters are fine and havent changed. Is this UV burn of some sort on my hammer? Brown jelly disease possibly? It's not showing its skeleton, but looks very unhappy. Any help appreciated!

20201206_102541.jpg

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is ~3 months old, had hammer for probably 45 days. Only other thing I can think of is that I added an additional hammer into the tank, and they were touching. Not sure if it's possible for 2 hammers to kill each other. However I did also have another hammer (third) that was separated, and also seemed to recede into its skeleton slightly. It seems to be doing better now, but the green hammer remains in that state no matter what.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is ~3 months old, had hammer for probably 45 days. Only other thing I can think of is that I added an additional hammer into the tank, and they were touching. Not sure if it's possible for 2 hammers to kill each other. However I did also have another hammer (third) that was separated, and also seemed to recede into its skeleton slightly. It seems to be doing better now, but the green hammer remains in that state no matter what.
Fare as I know hammers can touch.
Tank is new so it can be water parameters too. In my tank higher nitrate levels were welcomed by the hammers during my fight with Dinos any high flow was absolutely hated by them.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like it’s just adjusting to the new intensity of the lights, definitely not BJD

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back