Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers are way off....
if the tank was fully willed with all 75G that would only be 625lbs not 850
Seems like people can’t use google or a calculator
Actually I did do a google.. and then add on the lights ( if on a stand ), 1/2 bucket salt, dense liverock? how much sand which is heavy and a bit of safety factor

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fine, I have had my 65g on much less for 20 years, and that spot is perfect.
While the tank weight is around 800lbs, this weight is spread out over approx 800 square inches resulting in 1 pound per square inch.
Combine that with your sitting on it test and it does not flex result....I would just go ahead.
what you want to make sure is there is no flex in the middle. Flex in the middle can cause the glass to crack.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use a small cutting tool and take out the small drywall piece and look inside; never underestimate the cost cutting hack job of a US home builder as i'd be worried the side near the stairs is secured against the stair frame and not going all the way to the ground. Kill two birds with one stone, if this makes your wife cry then you know the tank thing is probably not going to happen. :)

The support near the stairs goes down to floor. The stairs come into the side and the bottom stair the actually part of the lower wall.

2003? seriously?

Yes, that’s what I meant, picture a piece of paper laying across two bricks. If you put something in the middle, it won’t support it, but if the object reaches from brick to brick, then the paper is inconsequential.

Open ‘er up. A 16” square. If you cut carefully along the mid point of the stud the piece can be re-fastened and taped back in place. Using quick-set mud the whole inspection job could be started, repaired, and painted in a day.

Yea without going into details my city is very stubborn to change and have built their houses the same for a long time. When we were looking for houses with our realtor we asked what was going on and he said just that. They had a model and just kept using it, even for high priced homes, because they don’t want to change. And the design is cheaper and stronger but obviously ugly and outdated.

Well I’ve had two carpenters look at it and everyone seems to think it’s more than capable to hold it. Think I’m just being over cautious about it.

Also per weight calculators an acrylic 60 gallon tank filled with water and 100-120 lbs of substrate would weigh around 650 lbs.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats good news if it has been properly examined and can hold the weight safely.
I still think one or two people on this forum need to go to the Gym and load a barbell with 800lbs and then see if you can roll it much less lift it. The experience will give you an appreciation of how heavy these tanks are in the real world and not by just looking at a number on a sheet of paper.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have officially requested blue prints from my county archive/recorders office. I will post them when I get them given they’re not proprietary from the builder.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats good news if it has been properly examined and can hold the weight safely.
I still think one or two people on this forum need to go to the Gym and load a barbell with 800lbs and then see if you can roll it much less lift it. The experience will give you an appreciation of how heavy these tanks are in the real world and not by just looking at a number on a sheet of paper.

Yep I agree completely. Out of all the information I got the general consensus is it’s fine. I walked on it again this morning, even jumped on it and it’s a rock. But I’m only 225 lb and not sitting on it 24/7.

I would never forgive myself if that built in caved and fell on my dog.

Hopefully the city will give me legible blueprints and everything can be put to rest.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basement sounds like a much better place for a tank. Could be fine, could be not fine, it all depends how they framed it. Could probably crowbar the top off and see right into it :) You might be able to get that done and cleaned up before the GF got home.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it wouldn’t fall on the dog. Any failure would be a long term issue. Build outs like that don’t suddenly collapse. The fact that you jumped on it proves that. Whether it would sag over time is a separate concern. This is live load vs. dead load. You are live, the tank is dead. Bending vs snapping.

To comment about what 800lbs feels like: the converse - try to break a 4ft length of 2x4 with your hands.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basement sounds like a much better place for a tank. Could be fine, could be not fine, it all depends how they framed it. Could probably crowbar the top off and see right into it :) You might be able to get that done and cleaned up before the GF got home.

Yea I thought about this but it’s be hard to cut it and find exact paint to match, plus she’d have to be gone all day...lol. Not happening during COVID.

I think you’re spot on about the top though. And if it all looks good I can even cheaply replace it with some hard wood and paint to make it eve stronger. I am going to hold off on any more than I’ve done (looking through electrical sockets) until I can see about getting my hands on the blue prints.

FWIW, it wouldn’t fall on the dog. Any failure would be a long term issue. Build outs like that don’t suddenly collapse. The fact that you jumped on it proves that. Whether it would sag over time is a separate concern. This is live load vs. dead load. You are live, the tank is dead. Bending vs snapping.

To comment about what 800lbs feels like: the converse - try to break a 4ft length of 2x4 with your hands.

That’s what the carpenter said. He said any failure and the top of the built-in will start to droop. I’m just an overly cautious person, pictures worst scenarios.

Back