Will this hold a fish tank?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the problems I see:

1594346879826.png

1. That top is probably particleboard/MDF and not up for the job of supporting the load either at the over hang or the spacing between whatever lumber makes up that box (the middle)

2. The red line with the downward arrows/question mark: that built in bookcase is a big void and its unlikely there is adequate bracing to carry the load downwards.

3. Box with the question mark: there might be a stud there you could tie into since theres a gang box but you'd need to see how its tied into everything else before determining if its useful.

Would I trust this with that much weight? absolutely not. I've opened up enough walls to know what the inside of that looks like.

Could it be built to work? 100%, it really wouldn't even be that much work. I'd ditch the built in, cut the dry wall out wider than the length of whatever you go with, add lumber until you've essentially built a wooden stand for the tank in void, cover it back up with new drywall, finish the seams and repaint. If you actually want to do this, theres a bit more to it than that but its a weekend project if you're reasonably handy.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE own the house...and she’s a cryer....a very, otherworldly ugly cryer, this needs to be avoided. If it was just me I would already be bracing it and tearing it apart. If she saw me doing this she would freak OUT. I take it a lot of you guys are single lol.

I was recently allowed to put a tank there, any further discussion requires a cool down period before it all blows up in my face fellas.

Lord knows if it collapses that’s my once chance gone forever. So sacrifices need to be made, I will settle for a 60/75 gal for now. There is no reason to tell her now that this is only the first of many many tanks/projects.

I can easily walk on it, jump on it. I also tested it out. I’m muscular and so is my buddy and we’re combined about 450, and my girl sat up there too which is about 570. No bend at all, or give at all.

But as mentioned, there is a difference in doing this and something 700lbs constantly sitting there all day every day for years and years.

Going to start messing with it tomorrow and try and post any information I can find out. I don’t think any carpenter will waste time unless I want to fork over a couple hundred dollars.
What is an otherworldly ugly cryer? Never heard that before. :)

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the problems I see:

1594346879826.png

1. That top is probably particleboard/MDF and not up for the job of supporting the load either at the over hang or the spacing between whatever lumber makes up that box (the middle)

2. The red line with the downward arrows/question mark: that built in bookcase is a big void and its unlikely there is adequate bracing to carry the load downwards.

3. Box with the question mark: there might be a stud there you could tie into since theres a gang box but you'd need to see how its tied into everything else before determining if its useful.

Would I trust this with that much weight? absolutely not. I've opened up enough walls to know what the inside of that looks like.

Could it be built to work? 100%, it really wouldn't even be that much work. I'd ditch the built in, cut the dry wall out wider than the length of whatever you go with, add lumber until you've essentially built a wooden stand for the tank in void, cover it back up with new drywall, finish the seams and repaint. If you actually want to do this, theres a bit more to it than that but its a weekend project if you're reasonably handy.

Excellent information and analysis. Thank you. I can handle dry wall and simple bracing...but how good would it look appearance wise? Not sure. I may have to hire someone for this. I will take your pointers as I go along

What is an otherworldly ugly cryer? Never heard that before. :)

Otherworldly is something that you most likely do not see/know about until years into a relationship when it’s too late and can make you question your decision...and if bad enough, life in general.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it a lot of you guys are single lol.

Definitely not single, just don't see the point in doing all this work setting up the 75 then ripping it all apart anyway when you upgrade in a year or two. Money and time wasted, buy once, cry once (Even if its otherworldly crying). :)

Other than that, I agree with @kyleinpdx on his points if you're sticking with the 75

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not single, my wife has a lot of say in what happens in the house. My motivation for saying to you not to use it without being 100% certain it can sustain the weight is based on the fact that I have already seen what can happen when a stand fails.

An accident happened when my brother did an installation in the late 90s. After filling the tank the support system broke on one side of the platform and the full tank slid off and hit the ground. Part of the broken tank tumbled and hit his leg. I was not there at the time but when I saw him hours later he had about an eight inch long gash in his leg and a whole bunch of stitches and bandages. It took about two months for him to walk properly again. I think had he been directly in the path of the tank it could have killed him. My current stand can probably hold three times the weight that is on it. I take no chances!

Last edited:

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take the weight. What I'd be more worried about is there are outlets and wiring there. A leak or tank maintenance could cause a fire. More the reason to get in there and just change it into a real peninsula with a sump and all. Joking aside, it would be the safest way to go.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not single, my wife has a lot of say in what happens in the house. My motivation for saying to you not to use it without being 100% certain it can sustain the weight is based on the fact that I have already seen what can happen when a stand fails.

An accident happened when my brother did an installation in the late 90s. After filling the tank the support system broke on one side of the platform and the full tank slid off and hit the ground. Part of the broken tank tumbled and hit his leg. I was not there at the time but when I saw him hours later he had about an eight inch long gash in his leg and a whole bunch of stitches and bandages. It took about two months for him to walk properly again. I think had he been directly in the path of the tank it could have killed him. My current stand can probably hold three times the weight that is on it. I take no chances!

That is terrifying to think about because my dog sleeps right near the wall. And he’s older and slow no way he’d move in time.

It will take the weight. What I'd be more worried about is there are outlets and wiring there. A leak or tank maintenance could cause a fire. More the reason to get in there and just change it into a real peninsula with a sump and all. Joking aside, it would be the safest way to go.

I am overbuilding this tank with thick acrylic to minimize the chance of leaks and making sure I have drip loops. I can also install hinge covers. Bout as safe as it can be. As far as maintenance I am confident to be careful.

But you’re right according to a well regarded carpenter than just inspected the area about the weight.

He inspected the entire wall and inside after I pointed out all my concerns. He also went into the basement and looked at my joists. He said he is ‘98% sure it would easily hold the weight’. Of course this is just one opinion. I have another guy coming tomorrow but he’s $125.00 just to look at it. Debating on getting two opinions.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is terrifying to think about because my dog sleeps right near the wall. And he’s older and slow no way he’d move in time.

I am overbuilding this tank with thick acrylic To minimize leaks and making sure I have drip loops. I can also install hinge covers. As far as maintenance I am confident to be careful.

But you’re right according to a well regarded carpenter than just inspected the area about the weight.

He inspected the entire wall and inside after I pointed out all my concerns. He also went into the basement and looked at my joists. He said he is ‘98% sure it would easily hold the weight’. Of course this is just one opinion. I have another guy coming tomorrow but he’s $125.00 just to look at it. Debating on getting two opinions.

that’s good, someone in person will be able to tell far more than we ever can from a few pictures.
I wouldn’t be concerned about it falling through the floor, depending on which way the joist were running sure something like sistering may have been needed BUT my concern was whether or not the “box” could take the weight. It’s possible it can, it’s also possible it’s built of warped scrap that wasnt suitable for framing out the house and is only help together by 2 nails at each connection point. You don’t want your weight being held up by fasteners only.

OP your biggest concern here is not immediate catastrophic failure but rather slow, gradual deflection in one plane that will cause a seam rupture. Most tank failures don’t come from explosions but rather pressure applied to the mechanical bond of silicone and glass.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks like a perfect spot for that tank and possibly one more, lol

Don’t tempt me! I did think about two instead of one..

that’s good, someone in person will be able to tell far more than we ever can from a few pictures.
I wouldn’t be concerned about it falling through the floor, depending on which way the joist were running sure something like sistering may have been needed BUT my concern was whether or not the “box” could take the weight. It’s possible it can, it’s also possible it’s built of warped scrap that wasnt suitable for framing out the house and is only help together by 2 nails at each connection point. You don’t want your weight being held up by fasteners only.

OP your biggest concern here is not immediate catastrophic failure but rather slow, gradual deflection in one plane that will cause a seam rupture. Most tank failures don’t come from explosions but rather pressure applied to the mechanical bond of silicone and glass.

Joists are running horizontally under the wall but that wasn’t my concern either. My concern was exactly as you said, the wall itself. Also the tank will be acrylic set on thick padding. Where I live these walls are in 99% of the houses, it’s how they’re built. So leads me to believe they’re not from scraps but most certainly doesn’t rule it out and indeed doesn’t address how they’re fashioned.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joists are running horizontally under the wall but that wasn’t my concern either. My concern was exactly as you said, the wall itself. Also the tank will be acrylic set on thick padding. Where I live these walls are in 99% of the houses, it’s how they’re built. So leads me to believe they’re not from scraps but most certainly doesn’t rule it out and indeed doesn’t address how they’re fashioned.

You are probably in a good spot. if I were in your shoes I’d probably open it up from within the built in, grab a flashlight and get as much of my body in there as possible to give it a good once over. Much easier to cover up should you need to abort.

The thing is right now it’s schroedingers support structure. Be wary of anyone who speaks in absolutes.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s quite presumptuous.

If it was built after 1978 it should comply with the minimum building standards for kitchen construction in most states. The typical minimum kitchen counter weight allowance is 600lbs. So, all's good. Of course, I'm assuming no modifications have been made or the builder's didn't adhere to state building codes.

I used to help my brother in construction when he accepted too many contracts.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was built after 1978 it should comply with the minimum building standards for kitchen construction in most states. The typical minimum kitchen counter weight allowance is 600lbs. So, all's good. Of course, I'm assuming no modifications have been made or the builder's didn't adhere to state building codes.

I used to help my brother in construction when he accepted too many contracts.
That’s a lot of assumptions!
From personal experience I would not be so confident that a simple counter was strictly built to code.
I have seen much more critical items like electrical, gas and even roof construction that was substandard imho.
Also assuming it is built to code I would not feel comfortable putting a 700+ pound tank on a counter made to possibly hold Only 600 lbs.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon on MDF counter is questionable. It will be at least 850 lbs for the water alone, then the tank, rocks etc. Have 4 big men sit on the counter and maybe it will give you an idea of rigidity.
Your numbers are way off....
if the tank was fully willed with all 75G that would only be 625lbs not 850
Seems like people can’t use google or a calculator

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine.

Just on the layout of the trim and drywall corners it has enough structure to support a 75. You can likely spy the fasteners in the top to get an idea of the cross bracing.

That’s not an MDF top, and even if it was...it would take the weight; ongoing water damage would be the issue. What are most mass produced stands built out of? That’s right, garbage. Water is the enemy of all wood.

The only issue I can identify is that there might not be cross bracing, and that top/cap/counter is bridging from wall to wall. Not a problem if the tank is sized to go likewise, but if it’s a smaller footprint... no good. That 40b is wide enough for it to be ok; so is a standard 75.

House looks like a 50s era, probably a whole street or ten of them built. It was done with real materials not leftovers.

All that said, trust but verify.

“It’s just drywall” so on the dining set side open a big section stud to stud and have a look. Stay away from the corner to keep repairs easy. Don’t open the cubby side; it will have a zillion little nails and possibly glue and crap you don’t want to try putting back together.

Yes, I build houses for a living.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I can identify is that there might not be cross bracing, and that top/cap/counter is bridging from wall to wall. Not a problem if the tank is sized to go likewise, but if it’s a smaller footprint... no good. That 40b is wide enough for it to be ok; so is a standard 75.

House looks like a 50s era, probably a whole street or ten of them built. It was done with real materials not leftovers..

Yes, I build houses for a living.

What do you mean by the bridging comment? Are you stating a tank closer to the edges would be more supported than say a 55 gallon that’s only 13 inches wide?
House was built in 2003 but indeed has a very very old style, think you’re spot on about around 1950s given my state’s history and yea you’re correct -there were many of them built/lined up together. Probably 7-8 streets worth.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use a small cutting tool and take out the small drywall piece and look inside; never underestimate the cost cutting hack job of a US home builder as i'd be worried the side near the stairs is secured against the stair frame and not going all the way to the ground. Kill two birds with one stone, if this makes your wife cry then you know the tank thing is probably not going to happen. :)

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by the bridging comment? Are you stating a tank closer to the edges would be more supported than say a 55 gallon that’s only 13 inches wide?
House was built in 2003 but indeed has a very very old style, think you’re spot on about around 1950s given my state’s history and yea you’re correct -there were many of them built/lined up together. Probably 7-8 streets worth.

2003? seriously?

Yes, that’s what I meant, picture a piece of paper laying across two bricks. If you put something in the middle, it won’t support it, but if the object reaches from brick to brick, then the paper is inconsequential.

Open ‘er up. A 16” square. If you cut carefully along the mid point of the stud the piece can be re-fastened and taped back in place. Using quick-set mud the whole inspection job could be started, repaired, and painted in a day.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back