Will this work for SPS frag tank

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am setting up a frag tank system for all SPS. I want to have it around 48 inches long, 24 inches wide.

Would this light be fine if I have the SPS within 12-16 inches of the fixture?

https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-FL...ds=8+bulb+t5&refinements=p_85:2470955011&th=1

I will be replacing the bulbs with all ATI, 3 coral plus and 3 blue bulbs. I figure it will be plenty of light for SPS that close to it, maybe too much actually. I will have all the SPS within the middle 16 inches, so I have room on the sides for my fish to swim, etc

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it work, yes. Will it grow coral, yes.

How deep is the frag tank?

Some of the items that this fixture will not do well in is the following:
  • Active vs Passive cooling - ATI (and other manufacturers) put a lot of R&D into managing the bulb temp for optimal output. Too cold or too hot and the bulbs do not perform as well or last as long. This fixture will passively cool the bulbs and will not maintain bulb temperature as well as others.
  • Splash Guards - forgive me if I misread the amazon page, but it looks as if this fixture does not have a splash guard. There would be concerns that salt spray would impact reflectors quick quickly and the ballasts/connectors may not fair well.
While I'm sure this list is not exhaustive, it gives some points to think about before diving in. It might be worth seeing what is available on the used market or picking up one of those "dented" units the manufacturers sell at discounted rates.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will it work, yes. Will it grow coral, yes.

How deep is the frag tank?

Some of the items that this fixture will not do well in is the following:
  • Active vs Passive cooling - ATI (and other manufacturers) put a lot of R&D into managing the bulb temp for optimal output. Too cold or too hot and the bulbs do not perform as well or last as long. This fixture will passively cool the bulbs and will not maintain bulb temperature as well as others.
  • Splash Guards - forgive me if I misread the amazon page, but it looks as if this fixture does not have a splash guard. There would be concerns that salt spray would impact reflectors quick quickly and the ballasts/connectors may not fair well.
While I'm sure this list is not exhaustive, it gives some points to think about before diving in. It might be worth seeing what is available on the used market or picking up one of those "dented" units the manufacturers sell at discounted rates.

I appreciate the feedback, thank you!!

I am overall concerned about how close the par would be. For the splash gaurd, that would be really easy to just get plexiglass from home depot and make something for it to slide over.

The frag tank will be in my basement so it is naturally a lot colder down there (it will also be on the side that isnt finished so no real heat) but I will also put a hang on fan blowing down the fixture to keep it as cool as possible.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the 4 bulb over a 75 gallon tank & sps are all doing great, bulbs are at 6 month mark now.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Dan's YouTube channel. He recently did a year review on these or similar.

Here it is

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back