Will this work to eliminate ich in main tank

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught ich in my main tank some months back that wiped out most of my fish. Only fish that survived was a goby I couldn't get out and a convict tang. Tank has been running in superhypo for 2 months. When I say superhypo I'm talking about 1.05. Reading up only way to get rid of ich in tank would be fallow for at least 72 days. I'm debating 2 options:
1. Of course take convict tang and goby out. Run tank fallow for 72 days or more. Would probably go through a mini cycle so probably another 2-3 weeks after the 72+ days before tank is ready
2. Drain tank completely. After taking out goby and convict tang of course. Letting it air dry a week. Refill tank with fresh cold rodi water. Let it run a week before adding salt to raise salinity. Probably go through another cycle which would take some time. After cycle fish should be ready for fish
Is my thinking wrong on either case?

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he will respond soon or someone else with the knowledge will. I also thought about another scenario
3. Treating the tank with CP for the 30
Days

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any symptoms of ich on the goby or tang since running "superhypo"? If not, I would raise the SG back up (after 76 days) and see what happens. If it was ich, keeping the aquarium @ 1.005 for 76 days might have gotten the job done.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input @Humblefish
I'm a positive person so I'm gonna keep hope alive that the "superhypo" did work. Do you think that even with the strain of ich that doesn't work with hypo with my salinity being so low it would affect that strain?
If it just so happens that the "superhypo" didn't work which of the 3 ways I presented earlier would you suggest I go/try?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did super hypo year ago with large sohal, naso and two or three other fish. No corals or inverts at the time. Went 8 weeks like this then brought it back up over a week's time frame. I never saw any further cases of it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input @Humblefish
I'm a positive person so I'm gonna keep hope alive that the "superhypo" did work. Do you think that even with the strain of ich that doesn't work with hypo with my salinity being so low it would affect that strain?
If it just so happens that the "superhypo" didn't work which of the 3 ways I presented earlier would you suggest I go/try?

At 1.005 SG, you are well below previously documented preferred salinities so I would think the odds of eradication are quite high.

If "superhypo" fails, I would go with Door #1. ;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 1.005 SG, you are well below previously documented preferred salinities so I would think the odds of eradication are quite high.

If "superhypo" fails, I would go with Door #1. ;)
X2. Hopefully it worked! :)

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We shall see. I don't want to bring salinity up too quick and stress the 2 fish out and possibly come down with ich. I'm not sure if ich is always present in a tank or it has to be introduced. Different opinions on both.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back