Will's 165w Aquarium Light Modifications

KingNebTheGreat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
159
Reaction score
83
Location
Ontario, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a new light for my tank and I am considering the Will's 165w Aquarium light since it is the best priced light on amazon currently. Main question here is does anyone have experience with modifying the thing and how difficult is it. I will most likely mod it because the only blue lights it has are 470nm and I would like some 450 and 420 too. What is the size of the LEDs I would need to get because they don't look standard and where could I get them that isn't expensive.
1768075082581.png

1768075122169.png

visually it looks like each has 4 5050 LEDs but I can't tell.
Thank you very much!
 
I am looking for a new light for my tank and I am considering the Will's 165w Aquarium light since it is the best priced light on amazon currently. Main question here is does anyone have experience with modifying the thing and how difficult is it. I will most likely mod it because the only blue lights it has are 470nm and I would like some 450 and 420 too. What is the size of the LEDs I would need to get because they don't look standard and where could I get them that isn't expensive.
1768075082581.png

1768075122169.png

visually it looks like each has 4 5050 LEDs but I can't tell.
Thank you very much!
Those new models with 4 smd leds per reflector are not easily modifiable as in good luck.
This is in the realm of precision work with "specialty" tools
Not like the old 3w "bridgelux egg" 10 for a dollar LEDs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new