Wil's Cadlights 100 Build

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured it was time to start a build thread. Like many I started out in freshwater a few years ago. After loosing my prized fish and knowing a move was coming soon I took a hiatus. A reef tank always intrigued me but I didn't know anything about it. I always figured its complicated and expensive. I wasn't wrong! But I'm full force in the hobby now. Its been slow going getting things as I can. Started hoarding stuff in late November but theres finally light at the end of the tunnel. So heres my first build....

What it is:

100g Cadlights Artisian II tank, stand, and sump
Radion G3 Pro x2
Reeflightmounts.com Mounts
Skimz SM203 Skimmer
Kessil A160WE
Jebao DC Return pump (came with tank)
Tunze ATO
Apex with an extra EB8 and WXM Module

To Come:
Vortech MP40wQD x2
Cobalt Heater/s

Delivery!

Basement

Radion's mounted

Plumbing. I decided I wanted hard plumbing for many reasons. The problem was the tank was metric so through trial and error I finally figured the right adapters to go with good ole standard. Ordered Blue pipe got orange. Went with it. As I got done what showed up? Blue.

Leak Test! Rut-roh. Not level.

Skimmer (light is daylight white under the stand but with my phone looks purple...)

Heres where I am for now. I did end up taking out the middle baffle out after taking this pic.

Time to get these cleaned up then Hammer Time!

OP
OP
WilRams

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to take my sweet time with projects. Not much of an update but the tank is now cycling. The Radions are gone since this picture and a white Giesemann Spectra is on the way!

OP
OP
WilRams

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would finally update this. The most obvious thing I can think of that has changed is my lighting setup. I was not a fan of the Radions disco ball effect but more importantly the shadowing I was getting. So off they went and a white 48in Giesemann Spectra replaced it! 20k Radiums off of M80 ballast. The T5's are 2 Blue+ and 2 Coral +. I am a big fan of "sunrise sunset" for my own viewing pleasure. So I did mod it with a Kessil A360WE. The Kessils sole purpose is to ramp up and down from my main lights. Once those are on they cut out. In fact right now I am only running the Kessil as my 4 frags are all in the middle for now. I made some small changes to the sump as well. It now returns from the middle and drains to a fuge on the left and skimmer section on the right. Overall not happy with this sump design and something I will be changing in the next year I'm sure.

Tank only has 4 frags in it. Taking it nice and easy. I am sure MACNA will change that. I have been working on my fish stocking list more than anything.

So far:
Snowflake Clown pair
Yellow Tang
McCoskers Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Sunburst Anthia (My favorite right now but extremely shy. Removed the yellow tang for now as it was the fish displaying the most and keeping it hidden. Once it was removed he at least comes out)

Only fish I am looking to add is a Bellus female and in a few months when I am comfortable with my pod population either a green mandarin or a bipartitus wrasse.

Ta-da!

kid976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the metric adapters you had to get in order for you to hard plumb the tank?

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cad builds some good looking tanks! Keep up the great work!
I like those light mounts you had on the radions. I may need to get a pair. If you are interested in selling them, LMK!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WilRams

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Its been a very slow build but I can see the light! Can't wait to start filling it in.

What's the Brand and model of the mounts you originally used with the Radions?

The mounts are from reeflightmounts.com

What were the metric adapters you had to get in order for you to hard plumb the tank?

I don't remember to be honest but I do know they were from flexpvc.com They were compression fittings that went from metric to standard.

Beautiful tank! Your plumbing is very slick. What are the four frags?

A little of everything. A hammer, torch, zoa, and WWC Blueberry Fields stick. I just wanted to make sure the tank was ready. The hammer, torch and zoa are going back to the frag tank and hopefully moving some sticks over this weekend/after MACNA.

Cad builds some good looking tanks! Keep up the great work!
I like those light mounts you had on the radions. I may need to get a pair. If you are interested in selling them, LMK!

Very slick mounts. My favorite solution I found for the Radions to date. I ended up selling those on here at some point sorry.

SerpentSlick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That your build looks great! Thanks for the reply!

I just showed my wife the sump picture and told her that this is why I'm working so hard on the underside of the stand. She said, "It's not gonna look THAT clean!"

Dang!! Haha I said I'm going to try!

OP
OP
WilRams

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately had some water damage in my basement during a bad storm recently. Basement flooring needs to be redone so this tank is coming down. I might end up selling it or setting it back up. Just kinda blah about it right now haha.

As for the tank I'm quite happy with it. They got this one right!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back