Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does make a lot of sense. Mine has been in full light now i think for a couple weeks and seems to be doing ok. I still have a hard time seeing any real color returning. The biggest change is that brownish stuff which could very well be algae. I messed up pretty major last week and and accidentally ran GFO in my carbon reactor and basically dropped my p04 to 0 over night. Obviously my system and corals were shocked by such a drop and ive had recession and even a few frag deaths. My wilsoni seemed to take it in stride but definitely stopped any progress. Ive been working a ton of overtime and only noticed yesterday when i got a chance to catch up on some maintenance. I hopefully can bring up the p04 to at least .14 or higher in the next few weeks. My tank seems to really like the higher phosphate. It also keeps the Dinos away and my fuge pumping. I removed my filter sock and am running from overflow to skimmer to fuge. I missed 4 days of reef energy and that also seems to have had an immediate effect on overall health. I personally am starting to think that aminos dosed DAILY is extremely important to long term success of keeping wilsoni in a home aquarium. I dont know if any other amino product is as effective as ive only used A and B.
That’s a bummer man, why I’ve always been nervous to even try GFO. I hope everything is looking better.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick update from myself.

More or less the same thing: more recession but color coming back rapidly.

Here was wilso on February 1st:
E5219B12-91B6-4896-A28F-DAEFD070C816.png

Here he was today:
5C97E56D-E2E2-411F-960E-6DEF4DA3BE89.jpeg

I wish I knew what was going on at this point but I’m kind of done trying to figure it out. If he’s going to comeback then he’ll come back, if he wants to die but go out looking good (color returning) then so be it.

What I am noticing is that any tissue that was completely white (not even a feint haze of green) is dying off. Everything that did have color is intensifying. I’d say he’s about 40-50% brown/green at this point.

The biggest thing will be if the tissue with zoox continues to thicken. As it stands now, it is so hoping that’s the case for the rest of the tissue.

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m pretty excited about this. I have never seen my wilsos feeders once since I got him.

I don’t even think he had any to be honest.

Tonight was the first time I’ve seen them come out. They were very miniscule and difficult to photograph.

Here they are.

9900A82D-D71B-47DB-9778-9EEEDB7D39F0.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my last post there seems to a little more drastic change, at this point i am certain that the zooz are returning, What i thought was rescession and algae growth was the start of coloration and growth of its normal non bleached skin. Where the tissue meet the sand and skeleton i watch closely because i am not sure if that is how the coral always grows and looks or if its a sign of unhappiness. Here is what it looked like today.
It might take a minute for the files to upload https://photos.app.goo.gl/YqbReYEK3e3sj4LC7

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my last post there seems to a little more drastic change, at this point i am certain that the zooz are returning, What i thought was rescession and algae growth was the start of coloration and growth of its normal non bleached skin. Where the tissue meet the sand and skeleton i watch closely because i am not sure if that is how the coral always grows and looks or if its a sign of unhappiness. Here is what it looked like today.
It might take a minute for the files to upload https://photos.app.goo.gl/YqbReYEK3e3sj4LC7
I can’t see the image

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am terrible with properly interfacing with this forum. At first like you had mentioned earlier in the thread it looked like it was dying back. Followed nearly immediately by what looked like algae spots growing all over it. The area that was going through this change also happened to be the side that was facing away from viewing. So because of this i was still on the fence as to whether or not it was a positive or a negative change. The area also would not get nearly as puffy during feedings or at night when i usually see it extend small sweepers. I kept on with with the very heavy feedings and Reef energy and it spread fairly rapidly. It was pretty clearly the zooz returning to the tissue. It was the the first time that I definitively believed it was color returning and this bus was driving in the right direction at least. i didnt edit the pictures just polyp lab lens or whatever.
Side note i was extremely busy at work for 9 days and only dose aminos maybe twice that week. There was a clear drop of in progression and maybe id even say some reversal of some progress.
How has yous been doing? DId the tissue blow out lead to regeneration of healthy tissue?

20200317_204016.jpg 20200317_204026.jpg 20200317_204035.jpg 20200317_204046.jpg 20200317_204101.jpg 20200317_204113.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am terrible with properly interfacing with this forum. At first like you had mentioned earlier in the thread it looked like it was dying back. Followed nearly immediately by what looked like algae spots growing all over it. The area that was going through this change also happened to be the side that was facing away from viewing. So because of this i was still on the fence as to whether or not it was a positive or a negative change. The area also would not get nearly as puffy during feedings or at night when i usually see it extend small sweepers. I kept on with with the very heavy feedings and Reef energy and it spread fairly rapidly. It was pretty clearly the zooz returning to the tissue. It was the the first time that I definitively believed it was color returning and this bus was driving in the right direction at least. i didnt edit the pictures just polyp lab lens or whatever.
Side note i was extremely busy at work for 9 days and only dose aminos maybe twice that week. There was a clear drop of in progression and maybe id even say some reversal of some progress.
How has yous been doing? DId the tissue blow out lead to regeneration of healthy tissue?

20200317_204016.jpg 20200317_204026.jpg 20200317_204035.jpg 20200317_204046.jpg 20200317_204101.jpg 20200317_204113.jpg

Yours actually looks like it’s recovering now. I think the skinnier tissue is a good sign. Your ridges are more defined and the tissue surrounding the ridge is puffing up while the inside is getting skinnier.

As long as he’s not losing tissue, I think he’s good.

My bizarre story has continued, slowly but surely. He’s almost completely covered in zoox now but has lost a ton of tissue.

I think with out a doubt it’s the amphipods, I see them on him at night. I’ve recently kept moonlights on the whole night to prevent them from coming out, hopefully it does something as this is the last straw.

So a lot more color and a lot more tissue recession is the story for me :/

CFC48FFE-5373-4FDA-811F-BECFB51D0A27.jpeg
CB0EB4BF-F3A6-4A52-B5E4-59F998E3625D.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours actually looks like it’s recovering now. I think the skinnier tissue is a good sign. Your ridges are more defined and the tissue surrounding the ridge is puffing up while the inside is getting skinnier.

As long as he’s not losing tissue, I think he’s good.

My bizarre story has continued, slowly but surely. He’s almost completely covered in zoox now but has lost a ton of tissue.

I think with out a doubt it’s the amphipods, I see them on him at night. I’ve recently kept moonlights on the whole night to prevent them from coming out, hopefully it does something as this is the last straw.

So a lot more color and a lot more tissue recession is the story for me :/

CFC48FFE-5373-4FDA-811F-BECFB51D0A27.jpeg
CB0EB4BF-F3A6-4A52-B5E4-59F998E3625D.jpeg
So i was under the impression that amphipod's only eat dead tissue and that could prevent the coral from getting infections from the dead tissue. Now i have not done research on that but its been told me by several people. Also at this point have you considered actually cutting away the dead skeleton so algae doesnt grow or anything else that might tick the coral off when its trying to grow. I feed pe picene pellets, roids, and LRS frenzy but thats more broadcast fed. I feed it at night and cover it with a small tupperware bowl ever since you gave me that tidbit. Have you contacted our guy at western aquarium ? DONT GIVE UP

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was under the impression that amphipod's only eat dead tissue and that could prevent the coral from getting infections from the dead tissue. Now i have not done research on that but its been told me by several people. Also at this point have you considered actually cutting away the dead skeleton so algae doesnt grow or anything else that might **** the coral off when its trying to grow. I feed pe picene pellets, roids, and LRS frenzy but thats more broadcast fed. I feed it at night and cover it with a small tupperware bowl ever since you gave me that tidbit. Have you contacted our guy at western aquarium ? DONT GIVE UP

Those people are just talking out of their ***, probabky don’t have amphipods.

Amphipods are omnivores, they tend to prefer meatier foods. I’ve seen them devour an entire two head favia in 4 days in my tank. I would actually watch them pull chunks of flesh off.

People have a propensity to believe things on here and mindlessly regurgitate them.

Keith said he hasn’t seen something bizarre like this.

It is what it is, hopefully the moonlights help. I’ve checked the tank throughout the night and didn’t see an amphipod on him. I’m also letting all of the amphipods I’ve bread in my sump die. I’m so tired of them at this point.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amphipods are omnivores, they tend to prefer meatier foods. I’ve seen them devour an entire two head favia in 4 days in my tank. I would actually watch them pull chunks of flesh off.

People have a propensity to believe things on here and mindlessly regurgitate them.

It is what it is, hopefully the moonlights help. I’ve checked the tank throughout the night and didn’t see an amphipod on him. I’m also letting all of the amphipods I’ve bread in my sump die. I’m so tired of them at this point.
I usually read the forums to get the consensus on whatever topic im looking into after that try and make my own determination before finally trying to find a scholarly article on the subject. Which turns out is way harder than I would think. There has not been nearly as much actual scientific research done as anyone would think. im happy i learned reefing from someone first hand from a buddy. i always stayed away from forums because trolls bore me with the non sense. I just joined this forum 6 months ago when i figured out it it was moderated well. The one thing that i wish i saw more of was folks admitting the bad mistakes they made and the outcomes of those mistakes. i also firmly believe that many people are straight up lying about there parameters when they post em with whatever problems they are having. That doesnt get anyone anywhere in the end. You see the one year growth pictures and its still basically coral barely living on the frag plug where it it was glued.

Keith is a pretty awesome guy, he has always been awesome when ive talked to him or asked. Some times i just beg for him to send a few pieces over haha. He has the most legit wilsoni out there IMO. He has an actual acclimation process and probably one the deepest understandings of the environ which they come from. Certainly a verified expert in that department. He didnt have any suggestions at all with that guy? Even the Wilsoni coral is out here getting COVID19 ha.

If there is tissue there is hope. Ive had a few coral make 6 month full recovery after being a speck of tissue. Hope for the best and but be expecting the worst. Or what ever old angry people used to say.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I usually read the forums to get the consensus on whatever topic im looking into after that try and make my own determination before finally trying to find a scholarly article on the subject. Which turns out is way harder than I would think. There has not been nearly as much actual scientific research done as anyone would think. im happy i learned reefing from someone first hand from a buddy. i always stayed away from forums because trolls bore me with the non sense. I just joined this forum 6 months ago when i figured out it it was moderated well. The one thing that i wish i saw more of was folks admitting the bad mistakes they made and the outcomes of those mistakes. i also firmly believe that many people are straight up lying about there parameters when they post em with whatever problems they are having. That doesnt get anyone anywhere in the end. You see the one year growth pictures and its still basically coral barely living on the frag plug where it it was glued.

Keith is a pretty awesome guy, he has always been awesome when ive talked to him or asked. Some times i just beg for him to send a few pieces over haha. He has the most legit wilsoni out there IMO. He has an actual acclimation process and probably one the deepest understandings of the environ which they come from. Certainly a verified expert in that department. He didnt have any suggestions at all with that guy? Even the Wilsoni coral is out here getting COVID19 ha.

If there is tissue there is hope. Ive had a few coral make 6 month full recovery after being a speck of tissue. Hope for the best and but be expecting the worst. Or what ever old angry people used to say.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back