Huddy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellas, hope your holiday weekend is treating you well. I’m planning to start the process of building a 15g nano reef w/ fish after a couple year hiatus coming from a fresh water cichlid tank. I have very little experience with saltwater tanks so I am doing my due diligence and researching as much as I can before I pull the trigger on buying anything. So I would just like to ask for everyones advice and if there are any tips I could use.

I will start off with the equipment and tank I have picked out:

Tank-Innovative Marine 15G Fusion AIO

Heater- Innovative Marine Helio 100W PTC

Protein Skimmer - Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001 DC

Auto top-off - PNW Customs Micro ATO

Light- AI Prime 16 HD

Upgraded Return Pump - Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0

Please let me know if there are any better alternatives at or around the same price, as well as if I’m missing anything or you guys/gals suggest any additional equipment to make my life a tiny bit easier.

As for filtration, I plan to use filter floss, chemipure blue, and marinepur gems.

In the future I will be making a cheato reactor for algae.

Testing -

Refractometer

Tropic Marin Compact Lab Essentials test kit

Do I need additional tests for magnesium or calcium?

Fish:

I plan to have 2 clowns, a pygmy angel, and maybe one or two others.

What inverts do you suggest as a clean up crew?

With the very mixed opinions about feeding, I have gathered that I should be feeding frozen mysis shrimp once a day. Pellets should only be used as a treat or backup food since they are very protein dense and can cause an ammonia spike easily.

I plan to have SPS and soft coral after about 2-3 months of maintaining the tank and maybe LPS in the future. I’ve heard phytoplankton is good but I don’t know what else would be beneficial but safe for the tank at the same time. I read mixed signals on reefroids because they can cause a phosphate spike. Any suggestions of feeding and general coral care? Do sps even eat phyto?

Food:

Hikari Mysis shrimp frozen 1x/day

Phytoplankton (coral) ~10 ml daily

As far as salt goes, I have read that either Red Sea Salt (blue bucket) or Tropic Marin are very stable and reputable as well as have good parameters for what I want have in my tank.

Parameters:

Salinity 1.025

Temperature 77-78°F (set at 77°F)

Ammonia Undetectable

Nitrite Undetectable

Nitrate 10-20ppm

Phosphate .01-.10

pH 8.1-8.4

Alkalinity 8-9dKH

Magnesium 1300-1450ppm

Calcium 380-450ppm

These are the suggested parameters I have found, are these acceptable or would you increase or decrease anything?

I plan to do a weekly 15–20% water change and check parameters every couple days.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, your equipment list looks fine.

In terms of your fish list, pygmy angel isn’t really suitable for your 15g. Clowns are ok but just be aware they can limit other additions with aggression / territorial behaviour in smaller tanks.

SPS in a 15g after 2 - 3 months is ambitious for an inexperienced reefer, softies are the safer bet. With this in mind I wouldn’t worry too much about chasing ideal parameters, salinity is the one you want to prioritise. Water changes will take care of the rest.

Your first challenge after initially cycling is the maturation phase, or ‘ugly stage’. Best to focus your research on managing this, preferably without resorting to chemical interventions. Success or failure in this stage is usually what makes or breaks beginners.

A variety of smaller herbivorous snails is a good start for your CUC and will help you through the worst of it.

The other big choice, which you haven’t mentioned, is whether you’re going with live or dry rock.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

OP
OP
Huddy_

Huddy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In terms of your fish list, pygmy angel isn’t really suitable for your 15g. Clowns are ok but just be aware they can limit other additions with aggression / territorial behaviour in smaller tanks.

SPS in a 15g after 2 - 3 months is ambitious for an inexperienced reefer, softies are the safer bet. With this in mind I wouldn’t worry too much about chasing ideal parameters, salinity is the one you want to prioritise. Water changes will take care of the rest.

Your first challenge after initially cycling is the maturation phase, or ‘ugly stage’. Best to focus your research on managing this, preferably without resorting to chemical interventions. Success or failure in this stage is usually what makes or breaks beginners.

A variety of smaller herbivorous snails is a good start for your CUC and will help you through the worst of it.

The other big choice, which you haven’t mentioned, is whether you’re going with live or dry rock.

Thank you for the input! I plan to go with live rock from a local store. How long would you recommend I mature the tank before adding any coral?

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input! I plan to go with live rock from a local store. How long would you recommend I mature the tank before adding any coral?
the longer you wait to add anything the better. Patience is the key in the hobby. That and a Quarantine system. If you do not "have room" or funds for a quarantine, stop now. Save yourself the headache and save the things you will kill by not QT. Not trying to dash hopes and dreams but this hobby isn't cheap and if you really want success, you do the right things. Equipment looks great by the way. That setup is basically my QT literally. Yes overkill and a half for it but it keeps things healthy. Nothing goes in the big tank for me for at least 4-6 weeks. Patience....5 daughters and a 70 gal reef did that to me lol

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! The angel will be a little big for it and if you can I'd recommend trying to get a little bigger of a tank to help with stability for the 1st time. I'd recommend to use chemipure blue with extreme caution. Make sure you have a very high phosphate issue you're trying to solve as it can strip it out of the water/rock easily. And make sure you pay attention to your filter floss. If it starts to clog is can cause salinity swings as water will flow a little slower through it causing the aio chamber to drop a bit to add more rodi. I may have missed it but don't forget rodi water!

OP
OP
Huddy_

Huddy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the longer you wait to add anything the better. Patience is the key in the hobby. That and a Quarantine system. If you do not "have room" or funds for a quarantine, stop now. Save yourself the headache and save the things you will kill by not QT. Not trying to dash hopes and dreams but this hobby isn't cheap and if you really want success, you do the right things. Equipment looks great by the way. That setup is basically my QT literally. Yes overkill and a half for it but it keeps things healthy. Nothing goes in the big tank for me for at least 4-6 weeks. Patience....5 daughters and a 70 gal reef did that to me lol

lol, I appreciate the help!

bigfish78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree the challenge of the cycle almost made me quit but I'm back starting again

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano 13.5 with a pair of clowns, a wheelers goby, a pistol shrimp, and blood red fire shrimp. I was impatient and added the goby/shrimp after cycling, and then about a week and a half later the clownfish pair, and then 3 days later the fire shrimp. So I definitely did not take this advice but I seemed to have gotten lucky! Definitely add the most aggressive fish later, and if you’re buying aqua cultured fish I wouldn’t worry too much about quarantine, I didn’t quarantine any of mine and they are all fine

OP
OP
Huddy_

Huddy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! The angel will be a little big for it and if you can I'd recommend trying to get a little bigger of a tank to help with stability for the 1st time. I'd recommend to use chemipure blue with extreme caution. Make sure you have a very high phosphate issue you're trying to solve as it can strip it out of the water/rock easily. And make sure you pay attention to your filter floss. If it starts to clog is can cause salinity swings as water will flow a little slower through it causing the aio chamber to drop a bit to add more rodi. I may have missed it but don't forget rodi water!
oh yeah, rodi water is also covered, since the tank is so small i will be buying it from the fish store, i live in an apartment where rodi filters aren’t allowed:/ ..plan to change filter floss every day/every other day, depending on how dirty it gets and so uneaten fish food won’t break down and cause issues. is there a safer alternative to chemipure blue?

OP
OP
Huddy_

Huddy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano 13.5 with a pair of clowns, a wheelers goby, a pistol shrimp, and blood red fire shrimp. I was impatient and added the goby/shrimp after cycling, and then about a week and a half later the clownfish pair, and then 3 days later the fire shrimp. So I definitely did not take this advice but I seemed to have gotten lucky! Definitely add the most aggressive fish later, and if you’re buying aqua cultured fish I wouldn’t worry too much about quarantine, I didn’t quarantine any of mine and they are all fine
I was looking at buying from dr reef since the fish are already “quarantined,” obviously there is always a chance but i’ve heard good things.

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at buying from dr reef since the fish are already “quarantined,” obviously there is always a chance but i’ve heard good things.
I got my clowns from cultivated reef and they personally texted me, offered earlier shipping, and got me a pair that paired up right when they hit the water! Very great service and the clowns are healthy and they have so many designer options

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, rodi water is also covered, since the tank is so small i will be buying it from the fish store, i live in an apartment where rodi filters aren’t allowed:/ ..plan to change filter floss every day/every other day, depending on how dirty it gets and so uneaten fish food won’t break down and cause issues. is there a safer alternative to chemipure blue?
I have this stuff called Clear FX pro, recommended by my LFS and it does in fact keep my water clear and I don’t notice any problems with it

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..plan to change filter floss every day/every other day, depending on how dirty it gets and so uneaten fish food won’t break down and cause issues. is there a safer alternative to chemipure blue?

Chemipure Blue is fine but as previously mentioned I’d be cautious using it in a maturing nano. Your best bet is to make sure you have good, strong, random circulation in the display and effective mechanical filtration. You might want to look into a good wavemaker, which I didn’t notice on your equipment list. The Nero 3 pairs well with the AI Prime, it’s convenient to have control of both devices on the same app.

OP
OP
Huddy_

Huddy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clowns from cultivated reef and they personally texted me, offered earlier shipping, and got me a pair that paired up right when they hit the water! Very great service and the clowns are healthy and they have so many designer options
I’ll be sure to check them out!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back