WIN Free Aquarium Maintenance from Healthy Tanks! (share your schedule) WINNERS Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way does anyone know when the results will be posted?

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on everyone! This is great and helpful software. Post away! :)

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mallorie, I just noticed you're a Christian :) very cool

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 gallon (25-30%) water change every 7-10 day.
Fluval 201 with Chemi Pure Elite cleaned every fourth water change and new Chemi Pure added.
Calcium/dKH/ph/Mg checked between water changes and dosed if required but with the small volume and regular water changes things are fairly stable.
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate-Checked weekly or if ever there is ever something not in order.
Silicate checked every 3 months or upon the addition of any new substrate or questionable material.
Mg-dosed 1ml every day or every other day.
Iodine dosed 1/2ml daily or 1ml every other day.
1/4 cap Purple up dosed daily for now but as coralline is starting to become more established this may no longer be required.

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 10-15 gal every week. Change gfo, carbon and purigen every month. Dose vitamin c every week and special blend every other week. Test twice a week and dose when needed. I use Kalk in the overflow and not heavy sps so I need to dose rarely

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintenance for my sumpless 40Br:

Weekly:
5G water change using Red Sea Pro Coral salt (Mixed the day before), Mag-float the tank walls

Monthly:
Pull out Medium Aerofuge and do a complete clean out (With hose, and if needed... vinegar).
Pull out both MP10's, take them apart and brush them off (Use vinegar when needed).
Scrape walls of tank, removing coralline algae, etc.
Refill ATO bin with Kalk water.
Refill food dispenser if needed.
Check on all systems.

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube that I just started. I am still new to the hobby and would love to have this software as I am so anal about everything.
I am planning on doing a 15% water change once per week and a 25% water change every 8 weeks.
Right now I am testing Nitrites, Ammonia, Nitrates, and pH every day until its stabilized.
Also have been rinsing out the filters and sponges once very few days.
Nano Mag the tank glass daily.
Suck sand/substrate out of back chambers weekly
Clean out water pump weekly

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
boy this software looks great. i could really use it!!!
10% Water change every 15 days. Clean skimmer every other week. Feed fish daily. Feed corals every other day. Clean inside glass glass every day or every other day. Windex external glass weekly or as needed. Water testing every week (need to keep a better log).
hmmm what am i missing.
make sure everything looks good every chance i get to look at the tank!!!

Blueshorts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, maintenance. I have entered a comfortable state of near neglect on my tank. I currently just have corals and inverts in my 20 high so I don't feed too much. I do a 5 gallon water change about once a month and add a "squirt" of magnesium and calcium once a week as well as the same "squirt" of an alkalinity solution once a week. I spot feed pellets to the shrimp, crab, and corals daily to every other day.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change about 10% of my twv/week. Usually in small changes when I am siphoning rocks. I test No2, no3, ph, alk weekly if there is anything off there I test NH3. I clean the skimmer cup as needed. Carbon sock every other week. Clean powerheads about every other month. Glass as needed, but usually every 4-5days.

daveron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ashamed to admit this but here goes..

I have a 55 gallon with a 6 gal HOB refugium/skimmer.

I scrape the algae off the front glass when I can't see whats living inside my tank. This is usually once/twice a week. (The snails love to eat the green stuff that grows on the front glass, the rest of the glass is covered in purple which the snails don't like, although the snails suck at getting the green stuff off. They leave patterns on the glass as they lick up the green stuff.)

I do fresh water evaporation top offs whenever the water return makes an annoying sound and keeps me awake at night. I find that this means I can trickle in ~4 gallons from a bucket without worrying about the water overflowing.

I empty my skimmer cup whenever it fills up, especially if it is overflowing. I try to adjust it so that I am emptying a full collector cup of brown every few days, although I adjust that to daily cups of green if I feel my tank is in need of extra filtration.

I do 5 - 20 gallon water changes every 2 weeks ish depending on what my tests kits show. I test the water sometimes when I do top offs, whenever I feel like it, or if anything in the tank doesn't look right.

I prune some seaweed(grape calpura) from the refugium occasionally and feed some of it to my roomates goldfish.

My 55gallon tank started with just one clownfish(maroon clown, but black & mis-bared) and some liverock. I had some hitchhikers in my liverock though and now have a healthy population of bristleworms, fan worms, mini-brittlestars, amphipods, snails, and potatoe-bug-armadillo looking things that crawl around super super slow on the liverock.

I had both green and orange zoas, a few soft kenya tree, several purple mushroom polyps, pulsing zenia, and a couple bubbletip anemones emerge from the liverock and flourish over the last year. (First tank with corals in it, I have no idea what I'm doing)

I feed 'everything' every few days with some of the mixed food that feeds fish & filterfeeders. I also feed sinking pellets almost daily that the fish, bugs, worms, and carnivorous snails seem to really like.

I also ended up with some aptista's, I got a peppermint shrimp to eat them, which ate all the juveniles, however the largest aptista ate the shrimp I think. So I pulled out the liverock it was attached to and gave it a fresh water dunk but it got off some spores before I got its rock out of the tank and they are new juveniles aptistas. I am really hoping I can keep the 3 bubbletip anenomes alive (they are tiny, size of a fingernail, have neon green spots under blue light) and kill the aptista

I have never done anything to the lights but turn them on and off. (marineland reef capable leds on main, cpr light on cpr hob filter)

The only other fish is an electric blue damsel.

I know i'm probibly doing allot wrong, but I have to be doing something right. I accidently ended up with a tank full of some amazing corals. One of my soft corals grew from about an inch to about a foot and a half, and I got to watch the xenia grow from one single solitary bud into a whole colony.

Last edited:

bbandu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my maintenance schedule is very erratic, I clean the glass every other day or so, feed tank twice a day, feed coral once a week, clean skimmer cup as needed and water changes about every two weeks or so and top of my 20g ATO reservoir once every 1.5 weeks or so.

Deep cleaning is done on a as needed or by-monthly basis..... I clean all power heads in the tank, empty and clean the sump, clean the return pump and skimmer in a vinegar bath, clean tank glass inside/out and vacuum detris.

tazguy25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't set up a real schedule, Someone just gave me a 70G reef tank & all of its inhabitants a few months ago. So far I feed daily, do 25% water changes every 3 weeks or so & Monitor water quality once a week via Test strips. A guide would be very handy!!!

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 10% waterchanges every 2 weeks. I clean out my skimmer cup twice a week. I change carbon and clean filter sock every 2 weeks. I replace GFO as needed depending on how phosphates are doing. I have BRS dosers that dose Ca and Alk for me, and I check paramaters usually a couple times per week.

MaidOfDishonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just in the finishing stages of cycling my first tank. I empty my protein skimmer every other day and check Salinity, Ammonia, PH, Nitrite and Nitrate levels every other day. Every few days I check for algae growth. I add RO water once a week to make up for evaporation. 25% water change due this coming week. Should have fish in a week or so!!!!

HealthyTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some great maintenance schedules being posted. I’m impressed. It’s wonderful to see people so involved with their aquariums and I’m sure all of them are beautiful. When I first started I tried my best to have a “natural, low maintenance†aquarium, but replacing livestock got way too expensive. Test kits and sticking to a plan of filter changes, water changes, etc, really turned the corner with my first tank. When things started to thrive I realized how staying on top of maintenance actually made keeping an aquarium less costly and more enjoyable. It went from “a money pit†to something that I could enjoy watching for hours.
A big thanks to everyone who has posted so far.
Don

lsaint88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am playing around with the demo and Healthy Tanks is really cool if I dont win one I think I might have to buy it. Good job on the program!

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%

Back