WIN Free Aquarium Maintenance from Healthy Tanks! (share your schedule) WINNERS Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm ashamed to admit this but here goes..

I have a 55 gallon with a 6 gal HOB refugium/skimmer.

I scrape the algae off the front glass when I can't see whats living inside my tank. This is usually once/twice a week. (The snails love to eat the green stuff that grows on the front glass, the rest of the glass is covered in purple which the snails don't like, although the snails suck at getting the green stuff off. They leave patterns on the glass as they lick up the green stuff.)

I do fresh water evaporation top offs whenever the water return makes an annoying sound and keeps me awake at night. I find that this means I can trickle in ~4 gallons from a bucket without worrying about the water overflowing.

I empty my skimmer cup whenever it fills up, especially if it is overflowing. I try to adjust it so that I am emptying a full collector cup of brown every few days, although I adjust that to daily cups of green if I feel my tank is in need of extra filtration.

I do 5 - 20 gallon water changes every 2 weeks ish depending on what my tests kits show. I test the water sometimes when I do top offs, whenever I feel like it, or if anything in the tank doesn't look right.

I prune some seaweed(grape calpura) from the refugium occasionally and feed some of it to my roomates goldfish.

My 55gallon tank started with just one clownfish(maroon clown, but black & mis-bared) and some liverock. I had some hitchhikers in my liverock though and now have a healthy population of bristleworms, fan worms, mini-brittlestars, amphipods, snails, and potatoe-bug-armadillo looking things that crawl around super super slow on the liverock.

I had both green and orange zoas, a few soft kenya tree, several purple mushroom polyps, pulsing zenia, and a couple bubbletip anemones emerge from the liverock and flourish over the last year. (First tank with corals in it, I have no idea what I'm doing)

I feed 'everything' every few days with some of the mixed food that feeds fish & filterfeeders. I also feed sinking pellets almost daily that the fish, bugs, worms, and carnivorous snails seem to really like.

I also ended up with some aptista's, I got a peppermint shrimp to eat them, which ate all the juveniles, however the largest aptista ate the shrimp I think. So I pulled out the liverock it was attached to and gave it a fresh water dunk but it got off some spores before I got its rock out of the tank and they are new juveniles aptistas. I am really hoping I can keep the 3 bubbletip anenomes alive (they are tiny, size of a fingernail, have neon green spots under blue light) and kill the aptista

I have never done anything to the lights but turn them on and off. (marineland reef capable leds on main, cpr light on cpr hob filter)

The only other fish is an electric blue damsel.

I know i'm probibly doing allot wrong, but I have to be doing something right. I accidently ended up with a tank full of some amazing corals. One of my soft corals grew from about an inch to about a foot and a half, and I got to watch the xenia grow from one single solitary bud into a whole colony.

Nice detailed answer!

19-1.gif

Welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still haven't set up a real schedule, Someone just gave me a 70G reef tank & all of its inhabitants a few months ago. So far I feed daily, do 25% water changes every 3 weeks or so & Monitor water quality once a week via Test strips. A guide would be very handy!!!

19-1.gif

Welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

tazguy25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone mentioned a demo I think, I will have to give that a try once I get a few minutes to play with it!

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Maintenance schedule consists of cleaning the front glass every day testing alk mag cal nitrates and po4 once a week cleaning the skimmer cup once a week testing my top off water for po4 and nitrates once a week refilling top off barrels and 50 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks on my 180 gal tank with roughly 300 gallons total volume

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is 10 -15 gallon water change weekly. I blow off my rocks with a turkey baster at this time also. I also clean the inside of the glass as needed and scrape the back wall onc ea week or as needed.

fastbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maintenance schedule consists of a weekly 10% water change along with siphoning of the sand bed. Glass cleaning every other day or as needed. Water testing once per week for nitrates, calcium, alk, and mag. Filling ATO every 2-3 days. Cleaning skimmer cup weekly. Cleaning reactor and replacing carbon monthly. Cleaning skimmer body and pump monthly.

jcharrsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon DT and 10 gallon sump

Daily
Sit and stare at the tank make sure everything is looking normal
Say hello to my dwarf lions who are perpetually hungry little monsters
Make sure the Yellow Eyed Kole Tang is eating

Every other day
Feed vitamin and garlic soaked mysis and seaweed mixture to the fish
Shut the return off and target feed cyclopeeze to LPS, zoas and palys
Use feeding syringe to rinse liverock

Every three days
Add Three drops of lugols

Every week
5 gallon water change siphoning as much algae as I can
Empty skimmer cup and clean it out
Change filter sock
Refill Fresh Water Resivoir for my ATO
Scrape algae off glass
Take a water sample to LFS to check parameters

Every month
Change Carbon in Carbon Reactor

Every 9 months
Change T5 Bulbs(but strongly considering building a LED fixture for the next go round)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Soon grasshopper!! :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are drawing for this at the end of this week!

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 10 days I do a 20 gallon waterchange. Weekly I change out the filter sock and rinse out the skimmer cup outside as I have been banished due to the stench it makes. I also blow off my rocks with a maxi jet once a week. During the the water change I vacuum out the sump with a wet/dry vac.

Daily I dose Zeovit Fws b balance and pohls extra and switch off between mb7 and zeobak . Every other day I dose sponge power and amino acids

Every 6 months I change out 2 x 400 watt radium bulbs and my t5 bulbs ge 6500, ati blue plus, ati coral plus and kz Fiji purple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice didnt realize 5 copys were going to be givin out

StanD

-- zoa junkie --
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
Bare bottom RSM130d - 5 gal water change weekly, clean glass and top off as needed.

red.beard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gal, luckily for me all it has in it currently is sand and rock (daughter and I put in last night). I'll be adding water in a couple weeks when I get back from vacation. So my maintenance schedule is pretty light right now. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back