Windex Inside tank?!

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was washing windows yesterday, and my son got a hold of the Windex this morning and sprayed it all over the tank all over the desk the tank was on and I caught him looking like he was spraying it inside of the tank. Obviously I stopped him explain to him why we don’t do this, but is my tank gonna be OK? What do I need to do? I cleaned it up from the outside, And I just had to leave my house, but everything was still open and alive when I left. It was the blue Windex if that matters.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no expert think would only be ammonia,and what they have said already,best wishes

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
please come back if probs arise ,keep us posted that everything is ok..following fingers crossed

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know your scape or if you’re really new or anything but I’d do maybe a 50% water change and corals are okay to be out of the water for a minimum of 10 minutes while you do the change. Acroporas are actually found in shallow regions where they are sometimes exposed by the low tide for like 6+ hours so do the massive water change and don’t sweat too much when some of your coral becomes exposed. Also, it might be worth asking your son if he sprayed IN the tank and if he did, how much? It might be worth a double water change and fish bucket isolation if it was a lot

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very little ammonia in regular blue windex, just surfactants, fragrance and blue dye. It’s mostly just water. Doubt your son got much into the tank. Skimmer would tell you by foaming .... is it? I wouldn’t personally worry .... or overreact. Maybe run some carbon and poly filter (if you have one).

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how many gallons is tank ,if probs 1st post pic of back of bottle

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your specific window cleaner contain ammonia? Not all do. Do you have a test kit or a drop-in ammonia badge? That would help you understand whether your fish and critters are in immediate danger. The type of critters in your tank matters too. Mushrooms and zoanthids can shrug off all sorts of calamities. Acroporas, not so much.

If you don't have a way to measure ammonia, or if the ammonia level is low, I would still do a significant water change to be on the safe side. But don't rush it so that you make a mistake and maybe make things worse. Watch your fish and corals for signs of distress.

ecexotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you over react , realize that doing a huge water change and adding carbon could be more lethal to the corals than anything in the windex. i've seen multiple people smoke their whole collection of high end sps by freaking out and putting way too much carbon in and stripping the tank of all it's nutrients

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back