Windows / placement concern

phlibbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about ready to fill with rock and sand and water and I’m getting worried about my tank placement. As you can see I’m not pressed up against any windows but i do have many windows. Please note these windows are also tinted.

IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar amount of windows across from my tank and I've yet to close the blinds. In the morning the tank gets a tun of direct sunlight and throughout the day it gets indirect sunlight. No issues but I do get to enjoy my tank in a different sort of light vs having it somewhere where it did not get as much sun.

OP
OP
P

phlibbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your concern? Natural light isn't a bad thing, contrary to popular belief.

My concern was too much sunlight. I have always heard not to place your tank next to a window, so before filling up the tank I wanted to make sure this placement is ok.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looks fine to me. Don't worry too much about windows unless there is sun constantly hitting the tank and more importantly keep your nutrients in check.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of my tank get direct sunlight during some time of the day. It is growing well in that part. And still no algae. The advise to not get any sunlight into the tank is from the freshwater world and maybe was valid many years ago when you do not have any strong illumination in your aquarium. They was afraid for algae at that time. Today in a SW aquaria - you already have as strong light as possible. Extra sunlight will not alter the situation.

Sincerely Lasse

EYE-CANDY AQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is not directly in a window you are fine. Water tends to evaporate faster in direct sun light vs the light shown in your picture. Your tank looks like it's in a perfect location

kwhyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement looks like it only gets direct later in the day or earlier in the morning. Should be fine. seems like a perfect place for that tank too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back