Winning the GHA battle

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much (cross my fingers) beaten GHA. My tank suffered like many tanks through the uglies and then GHA reared its ugly head.

Now, to be Completely honest, I don't have a magic bullet and I can't tell you definitively how it was achieved or that it wasn't my bare bottom dead rock tank maturing on its own.
But I will admit that I was frustrated and tried a few things.

I used Vibrant, one dose a week for 7 weeks. BTW, this will hurt the production of algae on your scrubber and it will kill or severely damage your chaeto.

I dosed hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10 gallons, I did this towards the end and only for a week or so.

I vacuumed the rocks Daily with a syphon hose. This was pretty rewarding. Some days huge clumps would come off and other days it was very little, but I did it religiously every day.

I dosed phyto, 50ml daily.

My phosphates are down to .03 and nitrates at 2, this is in large part to the scrubber. They work and a DIY is cheap.

None of the efforts work overnight and you have to be patient. In my case being BB and dead rock didn't help.

I wish I had been more scientific about my approach and could give you a more detailed description of how to achieve success, but I'm not that meticulous and all tanks are different.

Below you will see that at one point in time I had an algae tank and now I think I'm ready to get corals.

My advice is to go slow, as stated many times by many reefers, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. This process took me months. GHA can be beaten, time, patience and good husbandry.

Happy reefing, I hope this gives you folks fighting GHA inspiration, if I can, so can you.
20210806_131109.jpg
20210806_125950.jpg
20210507_105416.jpg
20210403_172324.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question is... Did everything you tried take care of the algae, or was it just a product of the tank maturing?

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question is... Did everything you tried take care of the algae, or was it just a product of the tank maturing?
I agree, unless I did a side by side tank comparison with a control tank, I will never know.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me hope, as I am battling gha or turf algae right now. In a similar manner.

I don’t mean to sound pessimistic, but I wonder if the gha will come back after you stop these routines. I sincerely hope it does not for your sake.

What did you do to make a diy scrubber?

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me hope, as I am battling gha or turf algae right now. In a similar manner.

I don’t mean to sound pessimistic, but I wonder if the gha will come back after you stop these routines. I sincerely hope it does not for your sake.

What did you do to make a diy scrubber?
I think that part of my problem was starting with dry rock, 25 years ago I started with live rock and never had GHA. At some point in time dead rock becomes live rock and hopefully helps balance out your tank.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that part of my problem was starting with dry rock, 25 years ago I started with live rock and never had GHA. At some point in time dead rock becomes live rock and hopefully helps balance out your tank.
Do you think it’s a waiting game with dead rock?
Mine was also dead rock.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s a waiting game with dead rock?
Mine was also dead rock.
My tank was about a year old until the algae situation resolved itself. Next tank will be mature rock for sure.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to get it under control and eradicate it?
Removed what I could by hand during water changes. Kept my parameters in order. That's all it takes. The algae is there because it's a phase of the rock maturing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back