Winter humidity control: home dehumidifier or hrv?

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I could use some insight or recommendations on what to use to control humidity in my fish room during the cold winter.

I normally run a window AC unit in the summer for that fish room, which is a small bedroom with one large 300g display system.

Now that it is getting cold, I need to swap the humidity control that’s been done via the window AC unit with either a whole home dehumidifier &/or an HRV for that room.

I also have a 180 g fish only tank in my living room which needs dehumidification as well year round as there are no nearby windows that can open.

I have quoted an expensive whole home dehumidifier install which would include a new duct to intake from the fish room. Am I best running with this considering my central heating will be running as well? Or would an HRV, one for each tank/room be more effective considering the primary needs are for the winter?

Thank you for any input!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey reefers,

I could use some insight or recommendations on what to use to control humidity in my fish room during the cold winter.

I normally run a window AC unit in the summer for that fish room, which is a small bedroom with one large 300g display system.

Now that it is getting cold, I need to swap the humidity control that’s been done via the window AC unit with either a whole home dehumidifier &/or an HRV for that room.

I also have a 180 g fish only tank in my living room which needs dehumidification as well year round as there are no nearby windows that can open.

I have quoted an expensive whole home dehumidifier install which would include a new duct to intake from the fish room. Am I best running with this considering my central heating will be running as well? Or would an HRV, one for each tank/room be more effective considering the primary needs are for the winter?

Thank you for any input!
Hrv is a super efficient and effective way to control humidity. Also provides fresh air with can help stabilize ph. Best advice I can give you to oversize for sure the commercial units are perfect. 600-1000 cfm

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Adam!!
The HRV will help heat the incoming air in the winter too right?

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we are when the weather is in the teens at night and the inside of my windows are wet. I guess a reefer 250 in a house wrapped in plastic with a heat pump and electric backup stays more humid than my old house with no wrap and a gas furnace. Now I thought it was great to not be so dry in the winter and then I noticed all the windows are wet. I turned the heat up to 70 and run a dehumidifier 24x7 and humidity is at 35%.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside humidity 30% - 35% inside of windows wet and some are frozen. Furnace set at 70. Not sure how to fix this. It was -4 outside but even in teens this occurs to a less degree. I am reading that the house needs to be around 15-20% humidity to prevent this. I am refilling my 20 gallon top-off every 7-10 days.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your furnace have humidity controls? You may need to compensate for the extra humidity caused by the fish tanks. I have four tanks in a small house -- the main floor is 640sq feet -- and typically don't see window condensation and freezing until it consistently stays below -25C. And it's old -- the house was probably built in the 1920s.

Your evaporation rates are pretty good for winter.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a standalone dehumidifier? They are literally AC units that don't exhaust to exterior. You can either run the drain line to exterior or get one with a couple gallon collection container. Far less money than whole house system and you put it away when your AC system comes back into play.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No humidity controls on furnace and I run a large dehumidifier 24 x 7 year around and it only keeps the humidity at 35% at best.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No humidity controls on furnace and I run a large dehumidifier 24 x 7 year around and it only keeps the humidity at 35% at best.

Reduce evaporation with a glass lid and try to cover your sump. If you have a protein skimmer, you have plenty of gas exchange.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am looking into a cover and an HRV. No one in my area seems to be too hip on HRV's.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a whole home dehumidifier installed.

It has an external sensor and control for my fish room.

Just started it but very quiet and seems to work well! Not cheap though
8FBBDF60-E1B0-4965-98AB-569D16836323.jpeg

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a whole home dehumidifier installed.

It has an external sensor and control for my fish room.

Just started it but very quiet and seems to work well! Not cheap though
8FBBDF60-E1B0-4965-98AB-569D16836323.jpeg
Hey are you in a winter climate area? The lowest I can get my humidity year around is 35%. I prefer more in the winter but when it gets under 32 outside my windows are wet on the inside and then mold starts. I need the humidity down to 20 probably in these situations to prevent the wet windows. I have very little room to add a whole house dehumidifier or HRV. If you are in a freezing climate, how low do you have to get your humidity to stop window condensation? I like the idea of the outside sensor to lower the humidity when needed.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m in Illinois. It’s been freezing.

The sensor I have is an external sensor, but it’s inside away from the actual unit.

I believe if you keep the humidity at 40-45 then that should avoid the moisture buildup. I could be wrong tho.

There are cheaper industrial units on Amazon. But they don’t operate as efficiently or aren’t as effective in this type of application I believe.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ones we had were residential and you could set the level.

Think it was set at around 40.

Austin - Central Texas btw.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee you 40 is too high when it is 32 or less outside and will cause wet windows inside.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back