Winter Storm Stress

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Fellow Reefers!
I just wanted to say that everyone who is dealing with the winter storm here in Texas--or anywhere else that is affected--is in my thoughts and prayers. This is a difficult time right now, especially for those that do not have power or any back up means to keep their aquarium going. I know how difficult it is to just sit there and look at your aquarium(s) and hope that all of the animals in them will make it through this. It sort of is a hopeless feeling. We have a bunch of fish stores in the area dealing with the same issues right now. I just wanted everyone to know that you are in my thoughts during this time. Please keep me updated. Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to have several more days of this.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this absolutely sucks!!! Lived in Lubbock all my life and have never seen this. Even the storm of the century a few years back wasn’t this bad. Yeah, there was a ton of snow with that storm, but not these temperatures. I feel very fortunate so far that the power hasn’t been lost for prolonged periods like other areas of Texas. Talk about stress. Thinking about that high dollar Yellow tang I have in Qt right now. Lol!!! And not to mention a fully stocked DT with several grand worth of coral!!! Haha. Pray for the best!!!! Hope everyone else gets through this with zero losses!!!

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this absolutely sucks!!! Lived in Lubbock all my life and have never seen this. Even the storm of the century a few years back wasn’t this bad. Yeah, there was a ton of snow with that storm, but not these temperatures. I feel very fortunate so far that the power hasn’t been lost for prolonged periods like other areas of Texas. Talk about stress. Thinking about that high dollar Yellow tang I have in Qt right now. Lol!!! And not to mention a fully stocked DT with several grand worth of coral!!! Haha. Pray for the best!!!! Hope everyone else gets through this with zero losses!!!
So true! I hope all remains well with your tank and tang. I do hope that all others are doing well, too.

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like we're slowly but surely getting to the end of this! Best wishes to all involved in this winter storm.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thankful that I have only lost a couple of fish and a few corals from this. No power for 3 days and I used all my rodi when my water quit working.... tank smells terrible but seems to be recovering slowly now that the power is on. It’s only a 40 gallon tank. I floated bottles of hot water and stirred the tank manually as much as I could and wrapped a blanket around the sides. Tank still dropped to the low 60s. I bet it takes a month for the thing to stabilize back out.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really sucks I live in NYC usually never have any problems with the lights so never really thought about a back up plan. But now I’m reconsidering. I’m sure of a lot of other people are also. My heart and prayers go out to everyone suffering from this cold weather.

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right! I think a lot of people will reconsider a back up plan after this. I have lived in my current house for about 15 years, and the power blinked once and went out for an hour once. So, we end up believing that these things will never happen, but they do. My family and I went through Katrina with no electricity and boil orders for a month. People at work make fun of me sometimes because they say that I worry about the weather too much.....well, we are at the weather's mercy for sure. It's hard to start prepping when the weather is 70 and sunny. Now we all have to think about this stuff. It can happen anywhere and any time.

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thankful that I have only lost a couple of fish and a few corals from this. No power for 3 days and I used all my rodi when my water quit working.... tank smells terrible but seems to be recovering slowly now that the power is on. It’s only a 40 gallon tank. I floated bottles of hot water and stirred the tank manually as much as I could and wrapped a blanket around the sides. Tank still dropped to the low 60s. I bet it takes a month for the thing to stabilize back out.
I am so sorry that you lost some of your livestock. It is very stressful to feel so helpless or that our efforts fail. I hope that you can get things going again and get them stabilized quickly enough.

Sadly enough, we have 3 generators at our property in Oklahoma. Not doing us a bit of good up there. One is coming here after this for sure.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts and prayers w/everyone going through this. Living in Minnesota, I KNOW what "sub-zero fire drills" are - been there.

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts and prayers w/everyone going through this. Living in Minnesota, I KNOW what "sub-zero fire drills" are - been there.
I can't even begin to imagine being this cold all winter! I don't know how you guys deal with it up there. This is plenty cold enough for me. Glad it's supposed to be in the 40-50s this weekend.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even begin to imagine being this cold all winter! I don't know how you guys deal with it up there. This is plenty cold enough for me. Glad it's supposed to be in the 40-50s this weekend.
This was earlier this week

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.49.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.49.30 AM.png
    278.2 KB · Views: 15

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have died just looking at the temps if they were that low!
I used to live in Arlington Tx, and lived through those March ice storms. Growing up in Minnesota taught me to be prepared regardless of "trends".
After buying our home here, one of the first things (once I could afford it) was a whole house generator. Besides the investment in tanks, I was not going to drudge through 2 ft+ of snow, in frigid temps, trying to layout extension cords through a glass sliding door (and allow more cold in) to try to keep house, tanks and all of us somewhat safe. Besides winter we also get tornado season & storms that can shut power down for days.

Again, prayers for all our reefers dealing with this crazy winter and I hope everyone is safe.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back