Wire Management

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how you guys manage all your wires. I have ton of cables, power, probes, power heads, so on, that I need to run into my apex which is in it own cabinet about 6 feet away, I really don't want to leave the cables a mess behind the tank, what does everyone else do?

Thanks

dechez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how you guys manage all your wires. I have ton of cables, power, probes, power heads, so on, that I need to run into my apex which is in it own cabinet about 6 feet away, I really don't want to leave the cables a mess behind the tank, what does everyone else do?

Thanks
Lume and raceway

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love me some cable ****... :rolleyes:

CuGP6mKW8AA0oND.jpg

avGDR25_700b.jpg

be5a816bece00d0d69bd1d8cbdf5a173.jpg

b28f25d3ed4489b38b77fda889b5abb8.jpg

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the panduit and zip ties
198d75c514a30cedd26ce165d1f4e942.jpg
use it every day I work wiring sub panels and large diesel generators

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you cleanly deal with the fact that the lengths are all different? Makes things messy!

Fold them up in the panduit or leave service loops at the device or each end. I like service loops at each end. The only thing to be careful with is mixing sensor and communication wires with power wires. Most wires we use are shielded but Neptune warns that some sensors like the ORP or Conductivity ( I can’t remember which one) probes are susceptible to interference from power lines.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fold them up in the panduit or leave service loops at the device or each end. I like service loops at each end. The only thing to be careful with is mixing sensor and communication wires with power wires. Most wires we use are shielded but Neptune warns that some sensors like the ORP or Conductivity ( I can’t remember which one) probes are susceptible to interference from power lines.

Did not know this! Learn new things every time I get in this forum. Thanks.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cable raceways also referred to as a wiring duct. They come in various sizes and make it relatively easy to deal with multiple wire sizes' lengths, etc. below is a picture of a typical web site that sells them and a picture of how I use them in my sump room. They are the gray channels against the wall. The slots allow me to drop the wire out of the raceway where ever the equipment is. Not as sexy as the other posts but simple to use, quick to lay the wire, and look decent.

120efa996842605f31afa19d70a330d5.png
b98a6eadd5f1d9d98d71de60c722d682.jpg

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm an audio visual technician and I thought I dealt with a lot of wires. What field are you in?
Haha, I don't work with cables really, I guess those images just make the ocd part of me very satisfied... [emoji4] There's a whole subreddit for just cable management pr0n. Extremely satisfying!

And yes, those images are from permanent (more or less) installations where you don't have to pull or replace cables constantly.

I don't know how many times I've done some satisfying cable management at home or in a computer case and been so proud of myself and just a few days later had to cut all the zip ties because I had to add something or replace something.. So my advice would be to not make it permanent, make it easy to pull out a cable and add cables as you need to. There are velcro ties that are good for that for instance.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7606.JPG

IMG_7610.JPG
I like open slot wiring ducts. Easy to cut and ample space to add or remove cables.

If the wires need to be able to move, then I use spiral wrap that's available Home Depot.

How is it that you have ten power bricks that are exactly the same?
Every thing I have has a different size/shape brick.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it that you have ten power bricks that are exactly the same?
Every thing I have has a different size/shape brick.
This is for my 10 radions. Mounting 10 of the same size is simple. The true art comes when you lay out many different different size powerbricks in an organized and efficient design. There's a lot of great examples out there to borrow from. That's what I did.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for my 10 radions. Mounting 10 of the same size is simple. The true art comes when you lay out many different different size powerbricks in an organized and efficient design. There's a lot of great examples out there to borrow from. That's what I did.

10 Radions? How big is your tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back