Wire Management

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason you need that strip mounted in the cabinet? For example, you can use a short extension cord (a few feet) and use these socket gaskets to waterproof plugs. I actually went one step further and used something like THIS to enclose the connection away from moisture. The down side is they're either green or orange and bigger than you'd like. But when I got it, those simple silicone gaskets weren't available.

If you don't like any of the above options, and stick with the power strip, just make sure you cap off all of the open ports on the strip and maybe use the silicone gaskets on all occupied ports on the strip as well (ones in use). It should definitely help extend the life of the strip.

Also, while mounting high is good as far as water can't run to it, evaporation will easily get to it. I had a strip inside the cabinet years ago up high and didn't realize until I disconnected it, that a few of the ports were brown. A fire hazard to say the least.

But there's plenty of folks here who use strips in the cabinet. I'm just not one of them from prior experience.

All good advice. I like the gaskets. The strip is a GHL 4 bar and all 4 sockets will be occupied. I was planning on installing smoke alarms as well. I have to read up on the GHL strips to see how they hold up in this environment. I have seen a lot of these inside sump cabinets. I have also seen some where a fire almost started. So I will continue to explore options as you suggested.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is how it looks so far. The issue is I don't have enough room behind the stand to mount the bar there. All four sockets will have plugs in them, I could use gaskets to be safe, and I plan on having a ventilation fan in the stand which will remain open on one side and in the back.

upload_2017-11-17_9-41-17.png

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is how it looks so far. The issue is I don't have enough room behind the stand to mount the bar there. All four sockets will have plugs in them, I could use gaskets to be safe, and I plan on having a ventilation fan in the stand which will remain open on one side and in the back.

upload_2017-11-17_9-41-17.png

They also make waterproof containers to hold power strips. You could mount the container where the strip is and then mount the strip in the container.
Just an idea. Because your strip is right above the water. I think Tunze makes one, but it's pretty big. You can find them for your size on Amazon.

I've also heard of people using rubbermaid containers. Mounted sideways, drill the power cords out the bottom, then seal it up with silicone or epoxy. And pop the lid on.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also make waterproof containers to hold power strips. You could mount the container where the strip is and then mount the strip in the container.
Just an idea. Because your strip is right above the water. I think Tunze makes one, but it's pretty big. You can find them for your size on Amazon.

I've also heard of people using rubbermaid containers. Mounted sideways, drill the power cords out the bottom, then seal it up with silicone or epoxy. And pop the lid on.

I will look at that for sure. One other option it to run all my cords behind my tank and to the main electrical cabinet. Its doable but will be a pretty big hassle. Here is a pic of how the setup works. The sump cabinet is on the right, the electrical to the left. It holds all my other power bars, bricks etc.

upload_2017-11-17_10-18-29.png

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I went out and found the perfect solution. The lid is even red which matches the plumbing and sump. I'm glad I went the extra step on this one.
upload_2017-11-17_14-24-56.png

upload_2017-11-17_14-24-32.png
Perfect! That's exactly what I was talking about with the Rubbermaid containers. Glad you found one that's a perfect fit and matching color.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! That's exactly what I was talking about with the Rubbermaid containers. Glad you found one that's a perfect fit and matching color.

Yeah the color was complete chance. Thanks again for such a great idea. I will give you props in my build thread (which is way overdue for an update).

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason you need that strip mounted in the cabinet? For example, you can use a short extension cord (a few feet) and use these socket gaskets to waterproof plugs. I actually went one step further and used something like THIS to enclose the connection away from moisture. The down side is they're either green or orange and bigger than you'd like. But when I got it, those simple silicone gaskets weren't available.

If you don't like any of the above options, and stick with the power strip, just make sure you cap off all of the open ports on the strip and maybe use the silicone gaskets on all occupied ports on the strip as well (ones in use). It should definitely help extend the life of the strip.

Also, while mounting high is good as far as water can't run to it, evaporation will easily get to it. I had a strip inside the cabinet years ago up high and didn't realize until I disconnected it, that a few of the ports were brown. A fire hazard to say the least.

But there's plenty of folks here who use strips in the cabinet. I'm just not one of them from prior experience.

Thank you for the tip on capping the open outlets! One of those “duh” things that could cost you thousands. Had aquariums for years and simply never thought of it because I did not have that failure - YET!

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the open slot wiring ducts. They will keep you from loosing your mind every time you open your cabinet :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back