Wire Rack... Tank stand?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tihsho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tihsho

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
236
Reaction score
217
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got one of those Home Depot 48" X 24" wire racks. It's got 4 shelves and I figure I might be able to take 1 of the 4 of and space it so I can use the middle rack as a tank stand.

Anyone hear about anyone doing this? Good? Bad? Figure I'll put a wood top on the wire to flatten out the surface, just didn't know if the plastic "shims" are good enough to hold the tank.

Thanks,

T
 
What size tank are you thinking of putting on it? If I remember correctly each shelf should hold 300 - 350 pounds. If you figure 8 pounds per gallon and no equipment weight, the shelf should hold around 43 gallons... Less than that once you look into the weight of the tank and filtration equipment or sump...
 
Contemplating between 15-29. Figuring I'll do a 20 on top and a 15 on the bottom as a QT.

Would love to do a 33 Long if I could find one locally for a steal.
 
Figured the easy way around this is to just put a stand beneath this rack. If I take out the bottom shelves I can still have a functional storage rack and use the lower part of the shelf to mount the LED fixture :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new