With regard to Po4 how low is too low?

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestions, I will pass this along to R&D. In its current state the HI758 Calcium Checker uses an adaptation of the Zincon method. The Checkers all utilize a 10ml cuvettte and same path length/form factor. For the most part, the inclusion of the new pipette has dramatically reduced end user complaints with this Checker. We regularly validate method accuracy and test procedures in house. The main issues found were inconsistent sample delivery (which was fixed by including a new graduated pipette) and type of water used during C1 (blank) phase. Nevertheless we appreciate your suggestions and feel free to DM us is you ever have any other ideas to help improve our products!
Where can we get the pipette? For us that have the older tester

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone. For those of you (us) using macro algae to remove NO3 and PO4 from the water column, doesn't the possibility exist that the algae is removing those to basic constituents and then returning "some" of the nitrogen and phosphorous back to into the water in the form of more complex organic molecules containing nitrogen and phosphorous which:

1.) our tests cannot read and,

2.) our corals CAN/DO use as N- and P- sources of food (either directly or indirectly via enzymatic and symbiotic microbial processes)?

Like Randy already mentioned, many organisms can produce organic phosphates and bacteria also produce storage polyphosphates, maybe some algae too. Polyphosphates are not found by normal analysis for reactive phosphate although they are inorganic (they don't contain carbon).

The coral holobiont is adapted to conditions low in phosphates and it also consists of symbiotic bacteria on the surface and in corals which should be very effective in the takeup and use of any kind of phosphates. Evolution teached the coral holobiont how to take up and use any kind of phosphates I am convinced. Otherwise corals could hardly be a dominant kind of organism in waters low in phosphates.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back