Woke up to dead foxface.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I installed a UV sterilizer. I have a dino outbreak (amphidinium) so low toxicity.

This morning I woke up to a dead foxface. Last night he was eating and healthy. Quick little fish.

I also saw he had some torn fins. But everything in the tank is pretty peaceful. 2 clowns, neon goby, and sapphire damsel.

But I do have 3 hermits and it was on the ground, they probably picked away at the fins so I have no idea what happened.

Water chemistry is pretty normal besides low nutrients

What could of caused this? I have only one powerhead in my tank, it's a reefwave 45. He does sleep under it at night, could he really have been sucked into it and killed?

I'm honestly so distraught. I loved that fish so much

Warning I'm going to post a video of the fin

Attachments

• 20220806_095204.mp4
    9.6 MB

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish would of done that? They seem perfectly fine together. Could a small little sapphire damsel really do that?
Cant see the vid, but, great last night and dead in the morning and no other fish behaving different……..likely a disagreement or change in hierarchy. A water issue would affect all. UV would not kill fish.
Yes, fish get sucked into pumps but this is only when the fish is weakened by some other means like disease.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see the vid, but, great last night and dead in the morning and no other fish behaving different……..likely a disagreement or change in hierarchy. A water issue would affect all. UV would not kill fish.
Yes, fish get sucked into pumps but this is only when the fish is weakened by some other means like disease.
Think a little sapphire damsel could do it?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the parameters?
Any change in appearance to the fish? How are the fish acting?
Normal parameters, of course I have low nitrite and phosphates due to dinos but the fish are acting weird now, I put food in and they didn't care

Inverts are totally fine though. 3 hermits, 4 shrimp

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is not eating the only problem right now or are there any other behavioral changes?
Swimming into flow, flashing against rocks, swimming weird, etc.
Not eating is always a big problem and a sign that something else is up.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BuddyBonButt When there is a hierarchy issue or defending of established territory the stress a fish can dish out to another one can be fatal in a short period. I find that is you have a peaceful tank for an extended period of time and then put in a territorial fish it can stress out a peaceful tank very quickly, even over night. I’ve learned this lesson too often and now never get an unknown fish unless I’ve done deep dive on it on the this forum…

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface, over a month ago. Rest of my fish are acting weird too
What are they doing that is strange? Did the fish go through QT? What sized aquarium? Can you post a video of the fish in your tank? A little more information will go along way.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is not eating the only problem right now or are there any other behavioral changes?
Swimming into flow, flashing against rocks, swimming weird, etc.
Not eating is always a big problem and a sign that something else is up.
Only problem is not eating. They seem to be hiding too. I know they are alive but I can't find the goby or damselfish now

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are they doing that is strange? Did the fish go through QT? Can you post a video of the fish in your tank? A little more information will go along way.
Qt at the shop, I didn't have a qt until after the fox face. They are just hiding now. Normally they are out and about but everything is sticking to a rock.

Videos don't seem to work but I'll try.

Attachments

• 20220806_103611.mp4
    11.9 MB

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the videos. Try throwing food in the tank and see if they come out and eat. Take a longer video of the behavior or see if they have anything strange on the body. Typically hiding and lack of appetite are sign of disease.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem is not eating. They seem to be hiding too. I know they are alive but I can't find the goby or damselfish now
That’s a big problem and is one indicator of potential parasite infection.

Im leaning more in that direction than an attack now.

Gotta eat

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back