Woke up today to a dead Atlantic blue tang….

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well todays a sad day for my tank… woke up to my Atlantic blue tang stuff between the glass and a rock. A few weeks ago I was battling the ich. Ran kick ich which is just water in a bottle(bs) so I started running polylab (medic) which has been helping my fish very well. I got a Lane angel before the outbreak, I don’t have a qt setup so will be purchasing one soon. The flame angel was the first victim to die in the tank. Then about a week into the ich, I noticed my gold rim had wounds and looked like it was getting beat up. Brought him to my LFS as I didn’t have a QT. Visited him yesterday and he was thriving!

List of fish
Sail fin (3in)
Blue Atlantic ( dead) 2in
Scopus (2in)
Golby
Pair of clown fish (3in)
Few chromies
Hippo tang (4-5in)

I’m inclined to believe it’s my hippo that’s bullying his tank mates. Has anyone heard of hippos to be so aggressive? I’m down 3 fish and it’s either the hippo or the sail fin, don’t think it’s the sail fin.
image.jpg

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size 150g
Running skimmer
80 degrees
Alk 8.3
Nitrate 33.4
Phos .90
Mag 1170
Cal .40/300

Dosing all for reef
Polylab (medic)

Sail fin has no signs of white dots anymore
Hippo, scopus still have signs of white dots.
Recently, two of my torches have been coming off their skeletons.
All my fish seem to be hiding under rocks

#fishmedic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EDIT - I did not see your first post - so some of my questions were already answered. I would suggest you remove the fish and treat them in a hospital tank IF
1. You are sure they have a disease (i.e. the white spots are not mucus plugs, etc) - a picture with white lite would help
2. did you have any recent additions?
3. Did you QT the fish
4. Your parameters are a little off - but not enough to cause death
5. How old was the fish?
6. Any other symptoms? in any other fish - or this one before death

Again - I'm not sure you need to QT your fish - more information is needed. Kick Ich and Polymeric are sometimes thought not to be enough for an active infection

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT - I did not see your first post - so some of my questions were already answered. I would suggest you remove the fish and treat them in a hospital tank IF
1. You are sure they have a disease (i.e. the white spots are not mucus plugs, etc) - a picture with white lite would help
2. did you have any recent additions?
3. Did you QT the fish
4. Your parameters are a little off - but not enough to cause death
5. How old was the fish?
6. Any other symptoms? in any other fish - or this one before death

Again - I'm not sure you need to QT your fish - more information is needed. Kick Ich and Polymeric are sometimes thought not to be enough for an active infection
IMG_1230.jpeg

Gold rim has been in QT at my LFS as I don’t have a QT setup yet. I’m getting one soon.

I added a flame angel and we noticed an outbreak after him. Did not QT ( lesson learned) he died first.

They’re all new additions and I just took my hippo out.

Only other symptoms I saw was the blue Atlantic had some brown spots along with his fins looked like he was getting beat up. Looks like he has a chunck missing from his side

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1230.jpeg

Gold rim has been in QT at my LFS as I don’t have a QT setup yet. I’m getting one soon.

I added a flame angel and we noticed an outbreak after him. Did not QT ( lesson learned) he died first.

They’re all new additions and I just took my hippo out.

Only other symptoms I saw was the blue Atlantic had some brown spots along with his fins looked like he was getting beat up. Looks like he has a chunck missing from his side
This looks like brooks....

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old & big is the clown? IDK if it's too early for me but he seems to be a bit lumpy around his dorsal/head area.
Not sure how old, came with the tank I bought off marketplace. She was laying eggs every 2 weeks but hasn’t done so since I’ve gotten the tank. She’s very territorial and buts me when I stick my hand in the tank

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how old, came with the tank I bought off marketplace. She was laying eggs every 2 weeks but hasn’t done so since I’ve gotten the tank. She’s very territorial and buts me when I stick my hand in the tank
That makes sense...., I seem to recall only seeing fully grown female clowns to have that kind of hump

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the difference is whether if you see shedding or skin peeling like symptoms
Not with mine, looked exactly like that! But Im not a fish medic so could be wrong, mine looked like I dropped them in a bowl full of salt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post a video of the fish? It helps to have some of the whole tank, and some closer up of the fish with the worst symptoms. Some people can upload videos directly here, others need to go through a hosting service like Youtube.

If the original diagnosis of ich was correct, the Polyp Lab Medic is probably just not controlling it. Fish with long term ich can look like fish with Brooklynella, trouble is, the two diseases require different treatments.

Jay

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well todays a sad day for my tank… woke up to my Atlantic blue tang stuff between the glass and a rock. A few weeks ago I was battling the ich. Ran kick ich which is just water in a bottle(bs) so I started running polylab (medic) which has been helping my fish very well. I got a Lane angel before the outbreak, I don’t have a qt setup so will be purchasing one soon. The flame angel was the first victim to die in the tank. Then about a week into the ich, I noticed my gold rim had wounds and looked like it was getting beat up. Brought him to my LFS as I didn’t have a QT. Visited him yesterday and he was thriving!

List of fish
Sail fin (3in)
Blue Atlantic ( dead) 2in
Scopus (2in)
Golby
Pair of clown fish (3in)
Few chromies
Hippo tang (4-5in)

I’m inclined to believe it’s my hippo that’s bullying his tank mates. Has anyone heard of hippos to be so aggressive? I’m down 3 fish and it’s either the hippo or the sail fin, don’t think it’s the sail fin.
image.jpg
I have a Yellow Belly Hippo that is an ******* to any fish that resembles a tang. He took out two yellow tangs awhile back. Sailfin puts him in check because he's bigger. I haven't tried replacing any lately. Sorry for your loss.
I feel like I wasn't feeding them enough and he got territorial. I've been feeding more hoping it will calm him down and keep him fat!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could be wrong but that gold rim looks like my fish did when velvet broke out in my tank a while back… @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 will know more on how to help and what it most likely is
Im seeing velvet and mucus cones and the mucus on tang is likely due to skin irritation from velvet. I would at this point NOT stock any more fish for at least 30 days and focus on water quality and disease prevention.
Treatment for all mentioned would be as you've been instructed before-
Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle and die off. ASSURE the qt water is fresh sterile water and not water used previously.
Clown appears to have onset of brooklynella and I believe you now have rubt Rally pro. Use that in display or I believe you have extra tanks, treat with Ruby Rally in one of those tanks.
As stated, the MEDIC treatment likely not enough especially with an infestation like you have. Its peroxide salts and often an alternative and not solution.

adinath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's really unfortunate. there is no other pain than seeing these little ones dead! rip! did you find the root cause? in past I lost 2 of my bettas and the reason I identified was high filter current. it took me months of research to identify the root cause as all other parameters were well within limits.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on your comments - I would assume it's either severe Ich - or more likely velvet. I would agree with @vetteguy53081 to treat all of the fish with copper per protocol - followed by a fallow period for your tank. So sorry for you to have to go through this.

Edit - I am curious about the lesion you're mentioning on the tang - as others have said - it is not well seen on the picture. If there is a 'gouge'/'wound' - an antibiotic may be needed

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an on going occurrence since I dropped a flame angel into the tank. The clowns have had the white spots since I picked the tank up so I’m inclined to believe she is just old in age, along with her hump. I had my LFS WT my gold rim and he’s made a full recovery. I was beginning to think it was velvet for a few days but no fish passed away during a week timeframe. I just took my hippo tang as it was the aggressor in the tank( OG tang from previous owner with the clowns). My LFS told me that I’m need to work on water quality but to continue running the medic. I did not mention, because I didn’t know, that I have an abundance of bristle worms in my tank. When I say an abundance, I’m saying HUNDREDS of them. I just took one of the rocks that I noticed that had a lot in it out, threw it into a bucket of R/O and some coral dip. I’ll attach a photo with this. But my LFS stated that having so many bristles in the tank, maybe causing the fish to be having bit marks when their motionless. I’ve cut down the feeding to try and starve out the bristles, which it worked, all they did was come out from hiding. Unfortunately, I do not have a QT setup at this time. I have a 90g with a pair of clowns, six line, powder blue hybrid and a gamma, one long tentacle anemone. Can’t really run copper in that. I’m working on getting myself a QT. I took the gold rim back from my LFS today along with a lavender, blue Atlantic, arrow crab, cleaner wrasse, coral banned shrimp, and transferred my yellow peel and smaller hippo all into my 150g. My LFS told me that the fish were just simply stressed out. All my new to me fish have come from one store and they stated that it’s just a stressed out tank from the 6” hippo I had in there. Remove her and the fish should not be stressed anymore. This goes against what all of you have said so now I’m questioning whether my LFS is giving me good info…. I’m just now seeing this after coming from my LFS with my fish :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back