Woke up today to a dead Atlantic blue tang….

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try and upload a video of my tank family here shortly so that ya’ll can see how my babies look
IMG_0409.jpeg
IMG_0424.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been an on going occurrence since I dropped a flame angel into the tank. The clowns have had the white spots since I picked the tank up so I’m inclined to believe she is just old in age, along with her hump. I had my LFS WT my gold rim and he’s made a full recovery. I was beginning to think it was velvet for a few days but no fish passed away during a week timeframe. I just took my hippo tang as it was the aggressor in the tank( OG tang from previous owner with the clowns). My LFS told me that I’m need to work on water quality but to continue running the medic. I did not mention, because I didn’t know, that I have an abundance of bristle worms in my tank. When I say an abundance, I’m saying HUNDREDS of them. I just took one of the rocks that I noticed that had a lot in it out, threw it into a bucket of R/O and some coral dip. I’ll attach a photo with this. But my LFS stated that having so many bristles in the tank, maybe causing the fish to be having bit marks when their motionless. I’ve cut down the feeding to try and starve out the bristles, which it worked, all they did was come out from hiding. Unfortunately, I do not have a QT setup at this time. I have a 90g with a pair of clowns, six line, powder blue hybrid and a gamma, one long tentacle anemone. Can’t really run copper in that. I’m working on getting myself a QT. I took the gold rim back from my LFS today along with a lavender, blue Atlantic, arrow crab, cleaner wrasse, coral banned shrimp, and transferred my yellow peel and smaller hippo all into my 150g. My LFS told me that the fish were just simply stressed out. All my new to me fish have come from one store and they stated that it’s just a stressed out tank from the 6” hippo I had in there. Remove her and the fish should not be stressed anymore. This goes against what all of you have said so now I’m questioning whether my LFS is giving me good info…. I’m just now seeing this after coming from my LFS with my fish :(
I think it might be a symptom of too many nutrients

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to treating fish I wouldnt listen to LFS advice, listen to the medics here. And did you buy new fish at the LFS?

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video of my tank, all the family members seem to be thriving now. I’m super happy with my gold rim as you can see he’s made a full recovery :D

Attachments

• IMG_0428.mov
    77.8 MB
OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to treating fish I wouldnt listen to LFS advice, listen to the medics here. And did you buy new fish at the LFS?
Yes, I bought another blue Atlantic and a lavender. Transferred a lemon peel and small hippo from my 90g into the 150g

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video of my tank, all the family members seem to be thriving now. I’m super happy with my gold rim as you can see he’s made a full recovery :D
Just worried if you have velvet like @vetteguy53081 thinks then all those new fish and the ones you put in most likely will get re infected if you dont do fallow…

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just worried if you have velvet like @vetteguy53081 thinks then all those new fish and the ones you put in most likely will get re infected if you dont do fallow…
I’m no expert by any means and will be following what the experts have to say. I don’t think I had velvet due to all my fish still alive 3 weeks into medic treatment. I lost two small tangs but I’m inclined to believe it was m big old hag of a hippo. It picked on every single new fish I dropped in and would torture it days on end. I think it was a mixture of ich and tang aggression. Again I’m not an expert but I’ve been flowing through the forums to self educate and see previous issues people have had in the past. I could be wrong

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ll try and upload a video of my tank family here shortly so that ya’ll can see how my babies look
IMG_0409.jpeg
IMG_0424.jpeg
This is a sure sign of both overfeeding and lack of maintenance (need to siphon more often). Best bet for reduction is manual removal but risky but a sure bet will be 2 arrow crabs which will feast on them. Dont let their looks scare you- they're peaceful

1692576664140.png

OP
OP
just reefing

just reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, I bought this tank with these worms in hopes that I could control the population. I purchased an arrow crab and a coral banded shrimp today, so I’ll let nature take its corse now

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a sure sign of both overfeeding and lack of maintenance (need to siphon more often). Best bet for reduction is manual removal but risky but a sure bet will be 2 arrow crabs which will feast on them. Dont let their looks scare you- they're peaceful

1692576664140.png
Until you watch one kill a goby in a LFS… lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Until you watch one kill a goby in a LFS… lol
I sold over 80 of these and owned at least 12- never had an issue. If a goby was caught by one of these - it was likely weak

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold over 80 of these and owned at least 12- never had an issue. If a goby was caught by one of these - it was likely weak
Not sure, I just got to the store and looked over and the arrow crab pounced on the goby, killed it, and was eating it!! Craziest thing ever for sure. Made me think twice about getting another, my BF loves them though!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to recap, you may have had velvet or ich. You didn’t treat with copper in QT or let your DT tank go fallow for 60 days. Brought the goldrim back home and added new fish to the DT? How are the fish doing now?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to recap, you may have had velvet or ich. You didn’t treat with copper in QT or let your DT tank go fallow for 60 days. Brought the goldrim back home and added new fish to the DT? How are the fish doing now?
That was my concern, I hope your fish are okay, youve got some beautiful fish! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back