Women in Reefing

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Girl reefer here! I’ve always had a love for all animals. As a kid I kept everything from goldfish, turtles, dogs, birds, mice...anything I could manage to get into the house. I became a dog groomer and eventually a trainer and now also breed Australian Shepherds. When I was a kid my mom had a 55gal salt water aquarium. It was absolutely magical and me and her spent hours and hours watching and working on the tank. My mom did all of her own servicing and learned a ton. I grew up and met my now husband and when we were dating, I convinced him to help me set up a salt water aquarium. He had NO idea the rabbit hole I was taking us down. Eventually he got his own 180gal. When we got married we got rid of both and switched to a 28 rimless cube. We had that for several years. Tore it down and got out to have some babies and now have recently gotten back in. We “adopted” a 120 gal and are currently switching it from a softies tank to SPS dominated tank. I love reefing and read a ton. We LOVE going to frag swaps. I’m sure I will never fully get out of this hobby. :)

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I definitely feel ignored in this hobby. I get pretty shocked responses when I actually know what I’m talking about. But very often men will ignore me or dumb down there answers when speaking to me... what’s frustrating is I most likely have a higher education and more knowledge about reefing than they do... just this week I asked what corals an LFS had and he said, well, these ones are super nice this is a flower coral... I said, that’s xenia and will take over my tank. Show me your sps...

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m Sarah and I use to write a lot on here and hoping to do it again. My biology teacher started my interest when I was a sophomore in high school. Even now as I’m in my second year of medical residency (starting in the fall). I still have my 240 tank.
It normally always did amazing and then life kinda happened. But I managed to save all my fish and about half the corals. Now that it’s getting back to normal again per say I will start adding more.

Why do I love this hobby, well I love the ocean and reefs etc. but it’s not easy going to the ocean or barrier reef now a days. So I have my own in my living room. Not sure why more females don’t do this hobby, but I do see them very active with other pets. Another reason (speaking for myself), most don’t know I exist because I am so incredibly shy. On here people know, but I’m life most have no idea unless it just comes up.

But I’d love to be part of the group, FYI this is my only social media so kinda relate to it here. But otss
A neat thread.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m Sarah
But I’d love to be part of the group, FYI this is my only social media so kinda relate to it here. But otss
A neat thread.

Hi Sarah!!! Nice to e-meet you. Post some pictures of your tanks if you like.

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh! This is my life! Where are you located? I am in South eastern Minnesota so I am VERY familiar with your struggles!
Do you have a source for corals and fish in your area? Maybe in the Minneapolis area? Occasionally family members go through there and could bring something home.

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a source for corals and fish in your area? Maybe in the Minneapolis area? Occasionally family members go through there and could bring something home.
I’m in north central SD.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it... reef tanks are like underwater flower gardens and all the men in the hobby are just getting in touch with their feminine side ;) :p

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it... reef tanks are like underwater flower gardens and all the men in the hobby are just getting in touch with their feminine side ;) :p

Nah, men just like to see creatures sting and chemically annihilate each other (queue some GI Joe theme song music) ;)

All kidding aside, both men and women can enjoy the beauty that results from a nicely aquascaped and properly maintained reef aquarium :)

Chobits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi girls!
I am new here. Me and my hubby always wanted a reef tank in our house, even before we could afford travelling to exotic places to snorkel. A year ago we finally did it, a 170 gallon tank in our livingroom. We did have a fresh water tank for 20 years with Discus, so not exactly newbies as keepers of aquatic life. Although it required another kind of knowledge keeping marine species.

I would say I have read a lot more about how to keep marine life than my hubby, but we both love this hobby and it’s nice we never argue about budget concerning our reef. As a result the spending could be somewhat a little too high now and then .

I am curious why there are more guys in reefing? Compared to animal keeping in general. Any thoughts?

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious why there are more guys in reefing? Compared to animal keeping in general. Any thoughts?

My guess is because science is a male-dominated field. Hence, reefing also being male-dominated.

It's nice to see after all these years, that more women are in this lovely hobby. :)

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1AE856C8-D604-480B-85A1-6C6B0469EB79.jpeg
CC8BD26D-3ABC-4661-AF67-5CF2B6EE7A0F.jpeg
Really digging the stand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back