Women in Reefing

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have to say this is awesome. It's kinda ignorant for one to think only guys would be into reefing. Or any other thing I guess.
My wife had no idea about the hobby and didnt really like the idea of spending all that money lol.
However since being introduced she has become even a better hobbyist than me on probably every level! All the fish and corals have names. All parameters are in check. She hand feeds our clownfish with chopsticks. She has named the hermit crabs as well haha.
I have posted in this thread for no other reason but support because that's all I get.

Good stuff.

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 40 and recently divorced. Maybe the fish had something to do with it...

It probably had more to do with her finding a new boyfriend - who didn’t keep any of those pets!

Seriously though, tone is tough to measure when reading text. No worries. I’m just trying not to ruffle anyone up the wrong way
I get it I am super sarcastic and at times forget that it doesn’t come across in text forms. I am sorry for the divorce it is hard but if it wasn’t right then you are better off.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a template or anything else you could point me to to build a stand?
This is a template you can use to build a stand. Any bigger than this I would recommend using a center brace

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a template you can use to build a stand. Any bigger than this I would recommend using a center brace

This is perfect!!! Thank you so much. I plan to use it in the future once I get some time and experience in SW.

Shelby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Women in Reefing - I love it! I don't know any women locally who reef in my area but would love to meet some. I got into keeping salt water fish back in the 80s and would catch all my own through scuba diving in Okinawa. Kept it up later when I lived in North Carolina but boy was it expensive there! I didn't get back into keeping a salt water aquarium until about four years ago and I made the jump to live reef versus fish only. I love it! Still expensive but very rewarding (as well as frustrating). Keeps me sane when I can't go scuba-diving on beautiful tropical reefs.

AKreefgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what a great thread to find! I've had fish for at least 30 years, mostly FW with plants. I started a reef tank in 2005 and then moved in 2006 and stayed away from SW until 2018 because of the cost. Then I couldn't stand it anymore and jumped back in, cuz if I can't be a marine biologist, at least I can have a small reef in my house. So currently I have a 75 gallon reef in my living room (when we moved a year ago part of the appeal of this house was a nook in the living room that was perfect for a tank - it made the move and is thriving) and a 10 gallon planted tank in the kitchen. I've never run across people who treated me differently because I was a woman, I've had wonderful LFSs that made sure I got all the help and information I needed without being condescending about it.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to see your tanks!!

I run very high nutrients. Can you guess what my PO4 and NO3 are?

tank.jpg

coral1.jpg

coral2.jpg

coral3.jpg

coral4.jpg

coral5.jpg

:eek:

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for doing this Metrokat! When I used to be on the nano forum, I always loved your posts, so much fun and full of life. Btw, I think I'm still on a list for a frag of katropora?
As a male, I never wanted to just hang with the guys, it gets kinda boring after a while, no offense dudes, but I'd rather hang with a diverse group of people, male and female, who enjoy and love to talk about reefing, music and nature. Welcome ladies, your input is equally, if not more important to this great community!
I still want a frag of katropora! :p
Stay safe!

Hey there - thanks for your kind words. I have some Katropora frags ready.
Katropora.jpeg

Greenlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope you are staying safe and giving your aquatic friends some attention.

I was recently a guest on Saltwater Aquarium Radio and Jeff Hesketh and I chatted about Women in Reefing.
The first official meetup of the group was at MACNA 2018 and Kevin Erickson's support of the group and meeting was wonderful. The group is active on facebook and I'd like to invite all women reefers to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/womeninreefing/
It's just a space to share your tanks, ask questions, say hi. The group has innovators, breeders, curators, and regular women like me that enjoy this hobby tremendously.
womeninreefing.jpg

Rev invited me to start a thread to talk about Women in Reefing. Would be great to hear from women in the hobby on what got you started, and about the support you get whether from your partner, your family, the local fish store, online friends. What keeps you going, and coming back to that box of ocean?

It was great to collaborate on Instagram with other women on a message during these times.
Follow me on IG https://www.instagram.com/metrokat/
Collaboration.jpg

If you'd like to listen to the podcast here's the link: http://saltwateraquariumradio.com/sar073/

podcast.jpg

Let's see those aquariums ladies.
Hi everyone, hope you are staying safe and giving your aquatic friends some attention.

I was recently a guest on Saltwater Aquarium Radio and Jeff Hesketh and I chatted about Women in Reefing.
The first official meetup of the group was at MACNA 2018 and Kevin Erickson's support of the group and meeting was wonderful. The group is active on facebook and I'd like to invite all women reefers to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/womeninreefing/
It's just a space to share your tanks, ask questions, say hi. The group has innovators, breeders, curators, and regular women like me that enjoy this hobby tremendously.
womeninreefing.jpg

Rev invited me to start a thread to talk about Women in Reefing. Would be great to hear from women in the hobby on what got you started, and about the support you get whether from your partner, your family, the local fish store, online friends. What keeps you going, and coming back to that box of ocean?

It was great to collaborate on Instagram with other women on a message during these times.
Follow me on IG https://www.instagram.com/metrokat/
Collaboration.jpg

If you'd like to listen to the podcast here's the link: http://saltwateraquariumradio.com/sar073/

podcast.jpg

Let's see those aquariums ladies.
From my time in the hobby ('93) I have noticed that typically men do talk down to us. Someone else in this thread mentioned how when repair/maintenance/etc. people come to her home, they automatically think the tank is her husbands. I have noticed the same thing when my husband and I go to LFS. They gravitate to my husband and I am left standing on the sidelines...when I am the one that knows all of the tanks params, did the last set of maintenance, knows all of the corals by their scientific names, etc. My husband knows from me doing the work in front of him and keeping him in the loop. He knows the tank, but I am the one more in tune with it. And that's okay.

I also notice this at expos (or back in the old days when they were actual swaps) vendors want to talk to my husband instead of me. I get the token "hello" but they want to have an actual discussion with him. Meanwhile, I have all the cash and know exactly what I want when I pursue their set up. And, I am sorry to say, but I can typically tell before I even walk up to the vendor how they are going to treat me (eye contact, smile, etc.).

I know it's harder here on the 'web', but my suggestion to men when you come in contact with a woman, do the same as you would with a man. Make eye contact, smile, be engaging, and helpful. Don't talk to us as if we are children. And as always, the nicer you are to me and treat me with respect, the more $$ I am going to drop on you. :)

PS: If you're REALLY nice and respectful and buy that lady reefer a beer or cocktail during/after that interaction, the more likely you are to find a girlfriend or wife in the hobby. That's how my husband got me! LOL!

I completely agree with you. When we go to the local shops they ignore me and talk to my husband but he points to me and tells them I don't know anything about her tank don't ask me. They just stop talking and sell me what I wanted thats it. Guys have always been this way with anything in life. We women had to get used to it but I don't let it deter me. I love my tank and it's my baby. I'm glad i found this thread. I made friends with a woman in my town that has a 1000 gallon tank that's gorgeous. I'll have to tell her about this!! I wish I had social media to keep up with the group on Facebook or Instagram but I don't. Hopefully I can on here!!

AKreefgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too grew up in the 50's. Always a major animal lover as was my Mom. I remember my first goldfish when I was 3-also turtles & those little green "chameleon" lizards. We had cats, dogs, bunnies, hamsters, snakes, lizards, turtles, parakeets and even a bat once. I almost always had a fish tank of some kind even in college I had a 10 gallon in my room. After college Besides being a bartender I worked in some pet stores (local not big ones). So in the 80's I had a saltwater tank-a parrot, a cockatiel, finches & a parakeet and an Afghan hound.
I got back into fish about 5-6 years ago with a 15 gal freshwater--now it's been a year since I've upgraded (thru several other tanks) to my current 30g L which I love. Being only 5 ft tall & considered elderly (ugh) it's the perfect size for me. I'm new to corals so I'm learning as fast as I can!

IMG_3820.JPG
I so feel the height thing! When we moved and built my tank stand by using kitchen cabinetry to fill in an old wet bar area I never thought about how hard it would be to reach the bottom of the tank. I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom of my 75. (But I love the set up, especially the sink and RODI system we installed next to the tank. It makes water changes soooo much easier.)

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to have come across this thread, thanks @metrokat what a great idea!

Lifelong fish keeper but only started saltwater and reefkeeping in 2017 - when I got into the hobby I had no idea it was so male dominated! Not bashing - I like you guys ;Hilarious but its nice to meet other lady reefers too.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your captivating contributions and colorful captive reefs caught my attention 8 years ago in the Nano-Reef community. You were the fearless female in a male-dominated community. I remember being impressed by your whimsical writing, quick-wit, and aquarium artisanship.

You have a magnetic personality, Kat. The proof's right there ^ in that picture.

I know you've transitioned to bigger and better things these days. But in my book, you're still the OG influencer in reefkeeping. #metrokat

Thank you for your kind words! It's been 8 years?!! Wow. The admiration is mutual though, I can't imagine not chatting with you and bouncing crazy ideas. I learn from you each time. Thanks for being you.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah women in reefing!
My mother is 68 y/o and she has a 40gal mixed reef that’s amazing. She goes to frag swaps, RAP, and whatever else is coming to town. Love the lady reefers!:););)
Post pictures of her tank - this is awesome, tell her hello!

As a woman who has never dealt with this much plumbing nor building a table from scratch, it is going to be something to tackle. I may attempt it myself particularly once I get my donated tablesaw!

I'm a hazard with power tools :eek: but I have managed somehow by pure luck not to blow up my apartment building.

I am 62 and just getting into SW after 4 years in FW. I used to breed guppies and mice when I was a young girl and sell them to the LFS. What memories! Seeing the Glofish in Petco several years ago did it. I could not resist getting them.
<3 So awesome to e-meet you!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lifelong fish keeper but only started saltwater and reefkeeping in 2017 - when I got into the hobby I had no idea it was so male dominated! Not bashing - I like you guys ;Hilarious but its nice to meet other lady reefers too.

I love your name!!

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your kind words! It's been 8 years?!! Wow. The admiration is mutual though, I can't imagine not chatting with you and bouncing crazy ideas. I learn from you each time. Thanks for being you.

You gonna come to RAP Cali if it happens?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back