Wood Selection Choice for New Stand

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm planning to build my first DIY stand by using the 2x4 and 2x6, I came across this quandary. How do I know which type of 2x4 or 2x6 I will need for the build? The big box home improvement store have variety types and brands: Top Choice #2, Severe Weather Max#2 (i would appreciate if someone can tell me what #2 grade means)

for example, they have

1) Prime Pressure Treated Lumber
http://www.lowes.com/pd_489060-152-204080EC0___?productId=50141000&pl=1&Ntt=2x4

2) Kiln Dried Whitewood Stud
http://www.lowes.com/pd_6003-99899-SG2408SPF___?productId=3604676&pl=1&Ntt=2x4

Which one do I pick?

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stay away from pressure treated lumber near your tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, stay away from pressure treated.....there is no need for this. It typically comes very wet and as it dries it will cup, warp, check, crook, bow....you name it. I've have boards that after drying could have been used as a pair of skis. You also need to use special fasteners. Just stay away.

I think what is critical is finding boards that are straight with no bow or cup. Definitely get kiln dried. I don't think the species of wood is critical for the stand. You should be seeing things like Douglas fir, Hem-Fir, Spruce-Pine-Fir (SPF), etc.....again tree species isn't critical. Your "whitewood" is a mystery wood as to species, and most believe it could be any species....similar to SPF...who knows what it is. Again, species to me is not important. But do stay away from wet wood....especially Hemlock...that stuff also twists all over the place as it dries.

As far as grading, here are the typical grades for soft wood:

C Select = Almost completely clear of defects. Widely used for interior trim and cabinets.

D Select = Fine appearance, similar to C Select. May have dime-sized knots.

1 Common = Best material for high quality pine with a knotty look. Knots will be tight, meaning they won't fall out, and are generally small.

2 Common = Tight knots, but larger than found in 1 Common. Often used for paneling and shelving. Very suitable for general woodworking projects.

3 Common = Knots larger than in 2 Common. Also used for paneling and shelving, but especially well-suited for fences, boxes and crates.

I'd definitely stay away for 3-COM and prefer the three first choices. I think you could easily get away with 2-COM if you carefully select the boards and don't use portions that have large knots. This is what I used in my last stand.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i know the grades? i have talked those people working in the big box home improvement stores and they don't even know.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to a lumber yard. Or wood working store to find good wood. Home Depot and Lowes do not have high grade wood.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i know the grades? i have talked those people working in the big box home improvement stores and they don't even know.

That's because the vast majority of those people have never done any construction in their lives. They are cashiers and advice should be taken with a grain of salt (generally). Agreed that lumber yard would be a better place for variety.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the big box stores have nothing below 2-COM, which would be just fine. Just hand select the straightest boards you can find. You'll be just fine because this plan is such over-built, it will support an elephant.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/ redfish.
While I do prefer going to better lumber yards when I can, I get 2x's from Lowes or HD all the time.
On stands I prefer getting the nice clean kiln dried 2x4's and both have them.
Just go through it and check for straight and avoid big or spike knots.

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this stand going to hold?...I've built stands with just 3/4 material such as poplar to hold 60g tank..no need for 2x4's..

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this stand going to hold?...I've built stands with just 3/4 material such as poplar to hold 60g tank..no need for 2x4's..

i would like to build a stand for 125 gallon tank with 40B sump

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redfishbluefish has a very good build design for that size tank..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back