Working on saving Duncan

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been slowly working on saving my Duncan coral . It started w 2 heads w a very soft skeleton when purchased, then slowly started to receed. I first noticed the wavy tentacles were shorter and it closed up frequently. It still ate lrs reef frenzy bits a few times per week, but growth didn't improve.
I was nearly ready to remove it after watching the skin around the frag plug pulling up, like it was dying . One day after feeding the other corals , I spotted a thin string web coming from the frag plug. Suspecting a vermited snail annoying it, the plug was removed and I dipped the coral then reglued to some spare rubble . Its been slowly getting better, and opening more during feeding time . I'm hoping once my phos / NO3 get back below .15 it will improve more and start growing more heads
Here's photos of the changes ..starting in Feb when I bought it 20210224_161323.jpg
I moved it onto a frag rack for a few weeks , it was just a stump then..
20210623_181147.jpg
Now its showing more tentacles and skin is filling back in ..I think I'm going the right direction. That big hole on right side was where the skin was rotting away . 20210719_212124.jpg
I'll try moving it back up onto the rocks this week into slightly higher flow and monitor it

Sorry for the long post , its been a journey trying to rescue it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate light and water flow and feeding 3x per week is all they ask for
Feed mysis shrimp and assure salinity is not elevated

OP
OP
Oldsman

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , I've been more focused on its needs after watching the decline. Excited to see it grow back out and finally start adding more heads and turn into a colony

mpatient

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. I had a 20+ head colony that I thought was a goner due an accidental extremely high salinity. I did lose some heads, but the remainder stayed closed tight as a drum for at least a month. The only way I knew it was alive is that it would slightly fluoresce under blues. Basically all I did was let it be, and one morning it was just the tiniest bit out and very pale. Soon after it was back to its full glory.

OP
OP
Oldsman

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone input , I've always thought of this duncan as my personal challenge. Leaving it be and keeping it fed now , should yield a beautiful coral .

I wondered about the flow and lighting it preferred, my biocube has moderate movement to keep purple tip torch happy and the frogs swaying..figure Duncan would be

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing today? kH and Ca are within range?

The picture with you kid is great!

OP
OP
Oldsman

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , yeah she loves taking pics w tank lol

I've been dosing 3 ml alk everyday, haven't really noticed cal dropping . Today's water change day too . I moved the duncan higher in rocks, and its starting to adjust to lights and flow ..been opening up last few days ! Just ate a healthy dose of reef frenzy

OP
OP
Oldsman

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an updated pic of the duncan opening up more . The heads look bigger and fluffy, certain now the tentacles will eventually grow back out . I moved it about 5 inches higher in rocks, and it seems happier in more flow too. 20210726_180546.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back