World’s Biggest Flukes?

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
66D5B1A2-0CFB-4A53-86ED-684CE7077448.jpeg
Came home yesterday, and all of my fish were gasping for air in qt. Half died in the tank overnight, and it looked like there was a pile of flukes on the bottom of the tank. They look huge! Pic is attached and 4 inch exquisite wrasse is in there for reference.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
66D5B1A2-0CFB-4A53-86ED-684CE7077448.jpeg
Came home yesterday, and all of my fish were gasping for air in qt. Half died in the tank overnight, and it looked like there was a pile of flukes on the bottom of the tank. They look huge! Pic is attached and 4 inch exquisite wrasse is in there for reference.
Were you running any kind of treatment?

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was on day 10 of ttm. My second dose of general cure was supposed to be today, six days after the first. Maybe should’ve used prazipro?

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was on day 10 of ttm. My second dose of general cure was supposed to be today, six days after the first. Maybe should’ve used prazipro?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things in the tank don't really look like flukes to me ... and I don't see any in the freshwater, with the bodies, either.

Are you monitoring ammonia in your transfer tanks? Any possibility that O2 levels dropped?

~Bruce

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things in the tank don't really look like flukes to me ... and I don't see any in the freshwater, with the bodies, either.

Are you monitoring ammonia in your transfer tanks? Any possibility that O2 levels dropped?

~Bruce
Ammonia alert badge showed none. No meds were used to deplete o2, and a large powerhead was breaking the surface of the water. I didn’t know if all flukes possibly fell off before the dip?

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acting lethargic
I don't want to stress you but I have had terrible luck w/GC or Prazipro w/wrasses. I'm like 0 for 6 when it comes to that situation. I would keep a close eye on him, have some fresh Saltwater ready and pull if he starts to degrade in health. Just my thoughts....good luck with him, Exquisites are awesome.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia alert badge showed none. No meds were used to deplete o2, and a large powerhead was breaking the surface of the water. I didn’t know if all flukes possibly fell off before the dip?

Sounds as though you've got ammonia and oxygen covered.

Possible ... flukes might bail from a dead fish, like the proverbial rats on the sinking ship. Perhaps @Humblefish knows . . . or even has a clue what those ball-like things are in your first post.

I've actually just brought a rosy-scales fairy and a royal flasher wrasse through General Cure with no troubles. They're in Coppersafe as I write this.

~Bruce

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia badge don’t always work. I learned it the hard way. You may want to test for ammonia with a different method.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not had any issues, and other testing methods read false positives in medications such as copper.
Ammonia badge don’t always work. I learned it the hard way. You may want to test for ammonia with a different method.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pelvic and anal fin on the anthia it almost looks like brook. Also with the stringy stuff on the other dead fish. Odd on that type of fish though.

Any meds in that water at all? Have you touched the stuff on the bottom of the tank to see what it feels like or if its solid? What is the stuff on the dead fish?

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to stress you but I have had terrible luck w/GC or Prazipro w/wrasses. I'm like 0 for 6 when it comes to that situation. I would keep a close eye on him, have some fresh Saltwater ready and pull if he starts to degrade in health. Just my thoughts....good luck with him, Exquisites are awesome.

Agree I have 8 wrasses, never Qt I slow drip acclimate and in they go! Fresh water dip is best for wrasses!! I spend an hour watching a fish before I buy when it comes to wrasses. Most of the time they will show you if the have something you don’t want in your tank,

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I have 8 wrasses, never Qt I slow drip acclimate and in they go! Fresh water dip is best for wrasses!! I spend an hour watching a fish before I buy when it comes to wrasses. Most of the time they will show you if the have something you don’t want in your tank,
That’s great and what I did for my wrasse tank, but it was all wrasse and a cow Naso Tang that had built resistances to everything.

Unfortunately, the tank contracted velvet because wrasse are great carriers and often highly resistant to it (1/2 of my wrasse survived it for a year and a half as I tried to manage it — even my naso did but that’s very very uncommon).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back