Worlds only confirmed bonded Peacock Mantis Shrimp pair

CoralCastle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

(Please like and subscribe, really trying to get my youtube stuff going a bit more)

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have dozens of them in our shark ponds filter Refugium it’s about 1000 gallons with a lot of live rock in there. ga e up trying to remove them years ago. they breed plenty

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly don't rec- hold on
we have dozens of them in our shark ponds filter Refugium it’s about 1000 gallons with a lot of live rock in there. ga e up trying to remove them years ago. they breed plenty
This I gotta see, are they o. scyllarus or the smaller hitchhikers? That sounds amazing, especially if they're breeding in there cause there has only been 1 known case of a stomatopod settling in captivity (a G. chiragra), all planktonic specimens die. That would be a lead to a break through if they're actually in an ecosystem actively multiplying.

____

I strongly don't recommend keeping a pair in captivity. Its actually not unheard of for pairs of Odontodactylus in general to exist, and many have done it but usually its temporary, they form pairs and then split off before aggression occurs. In a giant system I suppose its not much different than the ocean. Its really not that hard to breed them, rearing the eggs past larval stage is borderline impossible but to get fertile eggs its surprisingly not that complicated and easier than a lot of animals in the pet trade (probably easier than doing it with tarantulas).

Stars have to align a bit for this behavior and sometimes the stress of another's presence gets to them. The only species I know will actually form monogamous pairs are lysiosquillids (zebra mantis and friends) where the female will stay in the burrow and the male will actively hunt and bring her food. We could actually have had a huge market of L. maculata pairs being sold and kept but divers do not dig deep enough into their burrows to collect the female, hence the over abundance of males.

I'm also going to go on a limb here... but I don't think the 2 O. scyllarus in the video are a pair. Looks to me like one claimed dominance of a burrow and the other is lost/hiding from it. My biggest suspicion is the one more in the open is actually a female, which wouldn't make a lot of sense being the one hunting for the male. The one shown in the burrow I can't get a good angle to tell.

Last edited:

Tucan Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly suggest you do some research before making titles. Over a year ago now I had Rex bonded with another mantis shrimp for a few months they lived happily and never went after one another. So this wouldn't be the world's only lol. I'm also attempting to breed Rex With a female I'm excited to see how it comes along. You can watch my content on tik tok youtube or Facebook @Tucan Aquatics. You can even go back and see the videos from when I had the two together with no divider!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back