Worrying ICP Test, Losing Corals

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has been running for approx 4 months and after month 3, I am started to lose some lps corals but apart from high phosphates (0.2 - 0.3), my own water tests have been OK. As I could not work out why lps corals were dying (head of coral detaching from skeleton), I have sent the water away for an ICP test and was quite worried at the some of the low levels of some of the trace elements. I have been using Fritz Reef Pro salt (blue box) performing 20% water change weekly.

Has anyone else seen water tests like these, especially the low levels?
ICP Test
My New Nano

My Current Water Testing
Alk 9.3
Cal 450
Mag 1485
Nitrate 13.7
Phosphate 0.21
Salinity 3.51

Over the last 2 days, I have performed 40% water change each day. Tomorrow, I will perform another 40% water change and continue large water changes and then send away another ICP test to see if some of these trace elements improve. I have not yet ICP tested a newly mixed up Fritz salt but I am assuming that is OK.

Many thanks for any comment on my water testing as I am trying to work out if I am dealing with a water parameter issue or a pest.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what your alkalinity reading were before and after those large water changes?
BTW I’m a big believer larger changes have more positive impact than many smaller ones but the reverse could be true if the parameter changes are too big, especially alkalinity… call me paranoid but I try to match temp and alkalinity within reason

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what your alkalinity reading were before and after those large water changes?
BTW I’m a big believer larger changes have more positive impact than many smaller ones but the reverse could be true if the parameter changes are too big, especially alkalinity… call me paranoid but I try to match temp and alkalinity within reason
I have been keeping Alk between 8.5 - 9.5. Before the water change, my Alk 8.5 and after the water change, it rose to 9.1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really seeing a huge problem at a quick glance. Anyone not dosing often sees many trace elements below detectable levels. Whether that is too low or not is hard to know, but trying a supplement is a fine plan. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really seeing a huge problem at a quick glance. Anyone not dosing often sees many trace elements before detectable levels. Whether that is too low or not is hard to know, but trying a supplement is a fine plan. :)
Thank you for looking at the results. I think I saw the low trace elements and seeing my corals dying and made an assumption!
I will carry on with investigating!

Back