Worth it to raise Ocellaris Clowns?

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish were acting a little strange last night, The female appeared to be cleaning out an area below their BTA , making a cave like structure. The male followed her every time. I watched them do this a few times over a 30 minute period. I believe they may be 1.5 - 2 years old now so I'm sure they are old enough now. Ive never tried to breed them. Im not going to purposely breed them, if it happens then it happens. I used to raise cichlids and turned out to be too much work than I could handle so I reallyu do not want the clowns to have babies.

anyways, if they have babies is it worth it raising them? I cant image anyone paying more than $5 at the most if I sold to a store or anybody honestly. I know there is a demand for them since pretty much everyone in the hobby starts off with either ocellaris clowns or percula. I just feel like theres a million breeders already, so why mess with it. I would feel bad letting there fry be food but maybe that's just what I should do.

now other rarer designer clowns I would raise in a heartbeat but I do not have any.

Thanks
Jimmy Lee

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like its up to you, if you charge 5$ and get high amounts of baby clown fish it could workout because clownfish spawn frequently... but it is a full time job from other hobbyists I've heard.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like its up to you, if you charge 5$ and get high amounts of baby clown fish it could workout because clownfish spawn frequently... but it is a full time job from other hobbyists I've heard.

Yes I know...or hear once they start spawning they do it very frequently. I have a friend who has a pair that lays eggs roughly every week.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you thought that raising Cichlids was a hassle, then you won't want to be grandpa to a batch of clownfish. Raising the food to feed them is a pain. You have to really be careful with your water quality and the culling process to remove less than perfect fish can be heartbreaking. Not trying to discourage you but in the long run it will probaly cost you more than you'll end up getting when you sell them.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you thought that raising Cichlids was a hassle, then you won't want to be grandpa to a batch of clownfish. Raising the food to feed them is a pain. You have to really be careful with your water quality and the culling process to remove less than perfect fish can be heartbreaking. Not trying to discourage you but in the long run it will probaly cost you more than you'll end up getting when you sell them.

I actually have 12 gallons of pods and 12 gallons of phyto culturing for the past 4 months. But that all gets dumped to my tanks every so often. Iam about wits end with all these tanks. I really need to just focus on 1 tank.
You are right. I don't need another tank to take care of.

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish as well too and I was wondering the same thing ? I might try it out when they are ready.....
47747aa7799b734ef303166c035ea0d3.jpg
0cc266365b2d82d49836396631e1d02b.jpg

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an FYI, I have a pair of perc's that have been laying non stop every other week for the past 2 year's.
I haven't had much time to dedicate to raising the fry but have thought about doing so, just for the experience of it.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised them as a way to learn and because I thought it interesting. This then allowed me to use the knowledge to raise more species. If profit is your motivation then I think you'd be better of doing something else but as a way to expand your interest/experience it's great. In truth most breeders lose far more money than they make for a very long time, I do commend them for the effort.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair still nips at each other every now and then. Its not the usual fighting they did when they were first introduced though. Most of the time I believe it is due to the male wanting to hang around the bta and the female wants it all to herself. I have 3 bts in the tank but the male just wants to hang around her. The female is about 3/4" bigger than the male.

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair still nips at each other every now and then. Its not the usual fighting they did when they were first introduced though. Most of the time I believe it is due to the male wanting to hang around the bta and the female wants it all to herself. I have 3 bts in the tank but the male just wants to hang around her. The female is about 3/4" bigger than the male.
Idk ,she has him pinned in the corner all the time

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk ,she has him pinned in the corner all the time
That does not sound good!

I had 2 lightning and 1 was real calm and not aggressive at all. The other one was super aggressive and always kept the calm lightning in the corners. One day I noticed the calm one on top of the return loc line, it was stuck and barely in water. Luckily I came home in time or else it may have died. Needless to say the aggressive fish was given away.

The calm one is doing great and has a 40 gal AIO frag tank all to his self. Im currently looking for his mate, but do not want him to go through being bullied again.

Good luck.

Crashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns did not get alone when first introduced, it took 4 months or so of running my much smaller black Nemo of for them to become mates. They've followed each other around but no eggs yet- they probably just need time!

WestOhooligan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in and around breeding since 2010/11 and I think a lot of the "odd" behavior we see nowadays in clowns is due to the high level of inbreeding. Just like with the detrimental effects it has in other animals, I think we are starting to see it in the fish now as well. A lot of the defects are being blamed on nutrition/water quality, but I still think inbreeding is the culprit. They have natural instinct, but it's so repressed that they don't really know what to do with it, and it gets worse with each new generation of fish bred with their hatch mates.

Theo15, in your pics, the bottom clown shows exactly what I'm talking about. You'll see the underbite, or "pug face", with a pinched head. Most collectors just ooh and aah over the patterns and colors, but it's the first thing I look at. There's also a good chance they came from the same clutch. I had a pair of captive picassos that I got from MACNA in 2016, both looked pretty solid and I never wanted to breed them together knowing they were related, but I did want to see if they were mature enough. Sure enough the female would become gravid and try to entice the male, but he would just dash into the anemone as soon as she cleared out. This went on for months, she'd even have her ovipositor out and he was too dumb to get the hint. I ended up getting rid of him and replacing with a nice wild caught male from Bali. My hope is to have stronger genetics in by fry and less Cletus and Jethro going on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back