Worth recalibrating Apex salinity probe after short time?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my salinity probe the past 6 days. I noticed it dropped dramatically on Fusion so I double checked it with my refractometer. It was a tad low at 1.024 sg. So I added a bit of salt to my ATO last night and today as you can see in the graph it's still low and even lower as the days go on. When I got home from work tonight I checked the bucket and it used about 2.5g of top off water. I just now checked with my refractometer after calibrating it and it's appears to be between 1.025 sg and 1.026 sg. So I dumped what was left in the top off bucket and refilled with fresh ro/di.

So my question is, should I re-calibrate the probe or give it a week and calibrate again or just leave it as is and watch for more trending?

#apexusers

salinity.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no drawback to recalibrating any time you feel the results might be inaccurate.
Aside from using up calibration solution packets.
Always use the manual recalibration process, rather than the automatic one. Give it lots of time to adjust.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well even though I did it before, I flicked the probe lightly a few times at the top and I guess I finally dislodged some air bubbles. I guess I need to find a better spot, bubble free spot for it.

salinity2.jpg

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time salinity probes should need to be recalibrated is when the controller probe combination has changed. It's usually bubbles or contamination. They should be given a soaking time before initial calibration.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well even though I did it before, I flicked the probe lightly a few times at the top and I guess I finally dislodged some air bubbles. I guess I need to find a better spot, bubble free spot for it.
I agree with your diagnosis - bubbles will quickly result in a false reading. You also need to be careful you don’t introduce any bubbles when you calibrate it as that will result in a false calibration.

I doubt it needs recalibration at this point. I did have to fiddle with my temperature compensation for several weeks to get that stable, and if you need to do this I recommend you recalibrate after you get that stable. I recalibrated mine at about month 4 after that and it has been stable for over 12 months since then.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back