Would a system like this work for raising clownfish?

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2018
Messages
92
Reaction score
213
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been trying hard to raise clownfish and haven't quite managed it yet, mainly due to my rotifer cultures but I'm getting there now.

With clownfish laying eggs every 2 weeks I'm wondering if I can streamline raising them a bit more.

I came across this system on YouTube.



I'm wonder if you more experienced people could comment on if it would work?

I think the idea is sound, a larger body of water with a filter for biological filtration that slowly dips this water into small trays where the fry would be kept.

If you used rotifer mesh on each tray for the outflow area I don't think feeding would be an issue, rotifers would stay within the tub

Would this work or am I missing something?

Thanks
 
Hi All,

I've been trying hard to raise clownfish and haven't quite managed it yet, mainly due to my rotifer cultures but I'm getting there now.

With clownfish laying eggs every 2 weeks I'm wondering if I can streamline raising them a bit more.

I came across this system on YouTube.



I'm wonder if you more experienced people could comment on if it would work?

I think the idea is sound, a larger body of water with a filter for biological filtration that slowly dips this water into small trays where the fry would be kept.

If you used rotifer mesh on each tray for the outflow area I don't think feeding would be an issue, rotifers would stay within the tub

Would this work or am I missing something?

Thanks


For clownfish, clear rectangular fry containers are not the best. If you built this with small BRTs (black round tubs) it would work better.

Rotifer mesh on the outflow is going to clog really fast, daily (or more) cleaning would be required.

Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new