Would an Apex be worth it for me?

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 75gal. tank (four foot length). I may upgrade but not by much, maybe a 100 or 120. I run it with (2) Ecotech MP40, a Vectra return pump, and a Versa on a calcium reactor. These water movers are controlled through the Mobias app. Additionally I have a Milwaukee PH Controller on the calcium reactor and a titanium heater on an Inkbird temperature controller. My lighting consist of (2) Kessil a360x with the wi-fi dongle supplemented with an Aquatic life T5 Hybrid fixture connected to a Kasa smart strip.
All of this equipment is non Apex ready or compatible.
So why would I consider an Apex controller?
I would like to monitor and chart the tank ph because I may need to dose Kalk at times throughout the day. I also would like to monitor the temperature and program fans for cooling as needed.
I know that there are many other functions that can be performed by an Apex controller, if anyone who might have similar or non Apex equipment and uses an Apex controller offer some suggestions or alternative uses I'd greatly appreciated.
I've been hoping to preserve my rapidly dwindling brain cells but if using an Apex is worth it I'd take the risk.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even read your post. But to answer your title question, "Yes. It would be worth it." Maybe I'm too attracted to tech (part of my job), but as a new reefer, the Apex is invaluable! Automation, reporting, alerts, test kit logs, etc... all important to me. I'm also doing Triton method so I need 4 dosing pumps and easy control of those pumps. I'm only 3-4 months in and already had to pickup some expansion modules to get all my equipment attached. The power monitoring is a big piece of mind.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the EL, picked up the ATK and added a water leak sensor, then added VDM to control my Gyres. Makes a lot easy, pushing a button to feed and have my pumps go down to low, a button for water changes and everything that should turns off, logging params, etc etc

I've been doing saltwater tanks on and off for going on 15 years and this most recent setup I went tech heavy because I could. I enjoy the ease, notifications if there is something I consider a problem... but you can do a great deal of all this through other cheaper means. Is it needed, no... would I have a tank without the tech ever again... also no.

So really it's up to you on if the cost is worth the what you get back.

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes and yes. You will never regret it. I've only had one up and running for a month but already it has: Discovered I needed more precise and powerful heater to get a much more stable temp. Shown the effects that UV have on ORP in real time, shown similar effects additives have on ORP. Allowed me to automate everything / have alarms and as a tech person endlessly tinker and fret about how my tank is doing.

I believe it will give me stability in the long term.

Of course if my wife ever finds out how much it costs I may regret it...

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex and it's cool but honestly if I didn't get it basically free I would have held out until the Hydros Control came out to put an advanced controller on my tank. I have an rkl too but it's basically a glorified temp controller at this point. The modules are just too expensive for me to go all in with the apex.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the advancement in wireless technologies/IOT and mesh networks I think the Hydros Control will be the next big game changer for mainstream aquarium controllers. Independent pieces all connected on a decentralized platform is ideal.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the same question I wondered when I was getting the concept of adding a controller to my lagoon...

To me, its all about controlability and the ability to see what is going on in your reef (in some ways). I decided to go with the APEX and I have never been happier! Hefty price tag, but in my opinion worth the peace of mind!

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
M

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies. My concern is not so much the cost but rather it's usefulness for my situation. If none of my current equipment ,which is only a year old or newer be able to be controlled or monitored by an Apex, then what other important functions would I want to use it for? By the way I failed to mention that I also have a Tunze auto top off which it too is not compatible with the Apex.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need it? Absolutely not. Is it worth it? Only you can make that decision. I also have a 75 gallon tank aquaticlife hybrid with 2 a360x.
The trident with dos has been a game changer for my alkalinity. I use the temperature to controll my heater and fans, also turns the t5 off if temp gets to high. Also have my gyers hooked up to vdm and ice cap controller. I have my eb832 plugged into a ups, With power monitoring apex turns off all the nonessential items. And it set the tyres to 20 alternating mode and cor20 return pump to about 5%. Also have the atk with sensors in the sump for top off and one in the ato resivior to let me know its low. A couple float switches on a diy breakout box. One for tank to stop the return pump if tank is about to overflow. One in my skimmer locker to turn off skimmer. A magnetic switch on the cabinet to turn on a light when I open either door.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@musicreef I’ve been at this reef tank thing for about a year (120G) and am considering an Apex. For what it’s worth here are a few of my thoughts.

1. Like you my EcoTech equipment can’t or won’t be controlled by the Apex without additional modules. So I’m going to use the Mobius App for settings but use the Apex for power (more on that in #3). AI lights will remain independent. Still undecided on whether I want to be 100% committed to the Apex as there are occasional horror stories of things going wrong.

2. I like all of the monitoring and Apex makes it easy to check on the tank. But I’ve also spent the past year getting a feel for my tank by running my tests every three days etc.

3. Where I’m finding real value is if things go wrong. For example I’m going to purchase the water leak kit. And if it senses a leak it will shut down my pump, powerhead (?), skimmer, ATO, heater, and send me a text and email alert. I’ll also set up a water change mode, and then once this is all up and running I’ll add a breakout box with “Emergency” off switch.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies. My concern is not so much the cost but rather it's usefulness for my situation. If none of my current equipment ,which is only a year old or newer be able to be controlled or monitored by an Apex, then what other important functions would I want to use it for? By the way I failed to mention that I also have a Tunze auto top off which it too is not compatible with the Apex.
Your situation is not unique. Many have programmable lights and powerheads, atos not requiring apex.
Maybe you want to dose 2 part, or have supervision on your temp controller. Maybe you just want to see your tanks data and log water changes and trend manual test parameters. Or start a feed cycle that shuts off pumps and skimmers. Maybe you want to check that your skimmer is really on via amp draw on the pump.
All these.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used classic for 175. None of my stuff is really Apex compatible besides my Kessil lights and even they are on the Kessil controller. But, being able to open one app and see temp, ph and whatever else you are monitoring is pretty nice. Also being able to turn everything off for feeding with one touch instead of 2 apps or 2 controller buttons in my case is nice. Also heater control is a nice feature. I had the inkbird but, it fluctuated 2-3 degreees Apex is set for 77.5-78 and stays there.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the advancement in wireless technologies/IOT and mesh networks I think the Hydros Control will be the next big game changer for mainstream aquarium controllers. Independent pieces all connected on a decentralized platform is ideal.

Maybe if Coral Vue ever gets it compatible with a battery backup.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the OP, most people will tell you that next to the essentials like tank, pump, lights & heater, an Apex is the best purchase ever made.

Fwiw, If you don’t add dosing pumps you are missing even more!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the OP, most people will tell you that next to the essentials like tank, pump, lights & heater, an Apex is the best purchase ever made.

Fwiw, If you don’t add dosing pumps you are missing even more!
I’d totally get a doser before an Apex. I’ve had a doser for a few months now, and it makes life and stabilizing parameters so much easier

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back