would any one be interested in some captive propagated BTAs?

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to set up a bubble tip anemone propagation system so i can get a few extra bucks in my pocket, but wanted to know how many of you guys would want them before i start up the tank.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would depend on thier colors and stuff but I know I would be.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just found out that in order to sell the nems, i need an aquaculture license. Thankfully they are cheap.:)
Its always good to be on the up and up with these things. Can't wait to see some nems.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just found out I can't sell the nems with out a aquaculture license,which is $100:(
I will still start the tank and start fragging, but I can't sell to the public without that license.

REEF911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 391

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are tough. I have 4 rbtas sitting waiting for a home for the last 6 months. My price is $40, still no home! Your best bet is to find a sunburst or a cherry corals nem or some other high end nem. start small with some expensive stuff and you should always have a buyer.

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are tough. I have 4 rbtas sitting waiting for a home for the last 6 months. My price is $40, still no home! Your best bet is to find a sunburst or a cherry corals nem or some other high end nem. start small with some expensive stuff and you should always have a buyer.

I agree. But, if you are going to do this, I strongly suggest working out all the kinks before dropping $400+ on a single specimen. Get your system in good shape, and have your fragging protocol down to a science.

I wanted to get a 'name brand' nem for my prop system, I'm so happy I didn't. I was close to 60 nems, but the learning curve has reduced me to 27!

Build thread here: http://reef2reef.com/threads/side-project.189647/

Learn with the cheap BTAs, progress to the top shelf stuff.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as sticks and other hard corals remain the fad I don't see the popularity of Nems rising back up to where they have been previously. The bigger sites like this and RC and nano get, the more and more people learn about how much is actually needed to have them and keep them from destroying the rest of your tank.

I've not done any kind of crazy market analysis or anything that would qualify me as an expert, but I can see the high end BTA market working out about like the housing market did. People buy them because they are different, then they walk, then they get passed on to the next guy, one more reefer out of the Nem game so on and so forth until the nem is placed in a tank that can't house it and perishes or it perishes in shipping. Is the rate of new reefers interested in high end nems enough to make up for that guy who won't have one in his reef again? Hard to say, but I wouldn't think so.

Maybe with multiple tank homes becoming more and more the norm for hobbyists and with a new Disney Nemo moving (Finding Dori) coming out next year, people will start to fall in love with them again. I love sticks and softies and we have some absolutely stunning tank pictures floating around this site, but very rarely do you catch one with a Nem anywhere other then on the sand, if you catch one at all.

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local reefers? I got all of my bloodstock from locals.
LAReefs on eBay always seem to have a lot in stock.
Neptunes reef
Coral Collection (if you want high end)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back